cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

issues with Hub 5 since last firmware update

SUB-ZER0GAMER
Joining in

Since the latest firmware update, I've had issues with my Hub 5 in that every restart I've done (I used to do this weekly, now put it off to every fortnight due to this faff...) I've had to go as far as factory resetting either through the hub settings or the pin hole on the hub and it really is getting quite annoying.

Latest firmware also seems to have broken most of the settings as I can't even turn smart wifi off to toggle some settings that aren't enabled without devices dropping and again having to repeat the whole reset thing.

Finally, seeing as more devices are supporting it, I would have liked to have been able to make use of WPA3-SAE through the WPA2-PSK/WPA3-SAE option within the Hub 5 settings but just like trying to turn off smart wifi devices lose connection after applying this setting and again requires me to go as far as pin hole resetting to get them reconnected again. Only difference is that this (to do with WPA3-SAE) has been going on since even before the latest firmware update and seems to be quite widely reported on this forum too.

7 REPLIES 7

Client62
Legend

By  using RESET the Hub 5 will revert to the original factory firmware that contains :
the DHCP Server failure issues, non functional WPA3-SAE and the Wi-Fi fails if you change the SSID.

Which firmware is your Hub 5 running  ?

Recent updates & when first reported...
Hub 5 Firmware update :  LG-RDK_6.9.22-2302.6    (26/07/2023 – appeared to be pulled in days)
Hub 5 Firmware update :  LG-RDK_6.9.35-2302.6    (03/10/2023 – new rollout)

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You should NEVER have to turn off your Hub5, I have never turned mine off. People who do usually have an underlying circuit problem.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Hub 5 settings say I'm on LG-RDK_6.9.35-2302.6

I don't. I try to restart the hub every week to two weeks from within the Hub 5 settings and I don't know what happens but most of the time after the restart is done devices don't reconnect properly and it either takes a second restart, factory reset (again within the Hub 5 settings) or a last resort pinhole reset to get them working again. At this point I've even left all the settings as it was after a factory reset which should mean future restarts should have no problems (at least that I'm aware of).

Only reason I do these restarts weekly was to ensure best conditions for all devices connected in my house. Afaik there is no way for the Hub 5 to do this itself and If I don't actually need to be doing this I'll stop. Will save me a lot of trouble as what I've described is the routine every time I do this

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@SUB-ZER0GAMER wrote:

I don't. I try to restart the hub every week to two weeks from within the Hub 5 settings and I don't know what happens but most of the time after the restart is done devices don't reconnect properly 

Is that true of ethernet cable connected devices or only of those using the wifi? 

If the latter, then there is the issue you need to sort out - the Hub5's flaky wifi settings

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Only those over wifi. I don't have any devices connected over ethernet.

As for the flaky wifi settings they are pretty much set to default any time I've had to reset from the Hub 5 settings or the pinhole on the Hub 5 itself so it can't surely be to do with the settings.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

OK -might be worth connecting a "test" device to the Hub - any device can be connected via an adapter for whatever port it does have and a RJ45 ethernet cable

Others need to comment on the Hub5's wifi flakyness - there are lots of reports on here of spontaneous changes or reversion from changes.  But... I have only ever used my VM Hubs in modem only mode with my own better quality router and wireless equipment - that would solve your WPA3 issue.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.