cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wire cut whilst works being done - digging query

MarJanas
Tuning in

During some works on our driveway the wire has been cut. Unfortunately it wasn't an easy fix and the wire need to be re-pull from the street. The team should have come in today but we just received a notification that our appointment was rescheduled for 22.06.2024. We can not continue any works on the drive.  Our contractor is not happy about it because he is waiting to finish his job and be paid.  Is there any way we could speed up this appointment?

Last team pulled out the wire saying there is a blockage on the street and they did the mark where they need to dig. My question is: will they have to dig all the way to the green box on the street or there can be some connection under the ground on the street? 

At the moment we have been without connection for 9 days and I can't imagine how we going to cope for another 4 weeks( if only). 

Can we somehow finish the drive and just leave the pipe undrgroud for the wire to be installed later?

Please any advice

Thank you

[MOD EDIT: Subject title changed for clarity]

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta

The "green pipe" can indeed be placed under concrete - the "pipe" (duct) is intended to be below ground.  The important thing for VM is that the string pulls from each end.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

15 REPLIES 15

angela683
Joining in

@MarJanas wrote:

During some works on our driveway the wire has been cut. Unfortunately it wasn't an easy fix and the wire need to be re-pull from the street. The team should have come in today but we just received a notification that our appointment was rescheduled for 22.06.2024. We can not continue any works on the drive.  Our contractor is not happy about it because he is waiting to finish his job and be paid.  Is there any way we could speed up this appointment?

Last team pulled out the wire saying there is a blockage on the street and they did the mark where they need to dig. My question is: will they have to dig all the way to the green box on the street or there can be some connection under the ground on the street? 

At the moment we have been without connection for 9 days and I can't imagine how we going to cope for another 4 weeks( if only). 

Can we somehow finish the drive and just leave the pipe undrgroud for the wire to be installed later?

Please any advice

Thank you

Hello, @MarJanas

To manage the delay in repairing the cut wire and continue your driveway work, consider the following solutions:

Plan for Driveway Work:

Coordinate with Your Contractor: Complete the driveway work up to the point of the necessary dig, leaving the marked area accessible.
Lay Conduits: Install a conduit or pipe in the trench where the wire will be re-pulled, ensuring it is left accessible for later connection.
Prepare the Site:

Dig the Marked Area: If possible, have your contractor dig the marked area where the blockage is, following the previous team's indications. This will prepare the site for the service provider to complete the wire installation once they arrive.
Temporary Coverage: After digging, cover the area with a temporary but removable cover that allows for easy access when the repair team arrives.
Minimize Impact:

Alternative Routes: If feasible, create an alternative route for the wire that avoids major disruptions to your driveway work.
By preparing the site and coordinating with your contractor, you can minimize delays and ensure the driveway work continues smoothly.

I hope this suggestion is helpful to you.

Best Regard,
angela683
compass mobile dollar tree

Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta

The above duct suggestion is tempting, although the street end may be a challenge.

You could ask an aerial contractor to put a barrel connector between the two cut ends.  That will restore service.

Thanks Angela for your response. 

This is all we are considering but we are really not sure how much space will they need to connect the wires in that box. 

Do you know of there is a T connection on the street? Or they will have to lay a new wire straight from the green cabinet which is on the end of the street? 

We will try to call for a technician to come and advice is with this. 

The most annoying thing is that we have been saving to have our driveway resurfaced for 6 years and we end up with such a huge problem. VM doest seem to care about all the delays and stress it cause. 

Anyone from VM here to assist us with this?

goslow
Alessandro Volta

It usually takes a few days before a VM forum team person replies to a topic.

Your repair will be in the hands of an external cabling contractor. The date in June might be the earliest you get reconnected.

If you are using a piece of coaxial cable (as it sounds like from your description) and not fibre optic cable, what specifically is preventing VM from sending you a technician to make a join in the cable to get you back online again?

VM uses an orange gel-filled box like the examples below for such repairs

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/Broadband-phone-cables-look-messy-and-vulnerable/...

Past topics on here often seem to repeat a similar story when a cable is cut which automatically results in a cable repull being ordered and bypassing a repair. Has a VM technician been out to look at the break or did VM just send out the cable installation bunch straightaway?

Number-6
On our wavelength

As long as there is a small degree of slack in the cable, then Seph’s suggestion above would seem appropriate.

Note that officially this isn’t allowed, VM won’t condone third-party alterations to their cabling infrastructure, but if it’s done half-way competently, then realistically a single join isn’t going to cause any issues. Get a professional aerial installer to take a look as they’ll know how to crimp the F-connectors on properly - it’ll probably be a lot quicker than waiting for VM to get around to fixing it and shouldn’t cost too much anyway. Encase the joint(s) in a plastic bag and zip-tie it to both ends and it should be fine!

As an aside, call me cynical, and if I’m wrong, I’ll be the first to put my hand up and apologise, but doesn’t the response above from ‘angela683’, hint at being an AI/bot generated reply? 

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Number-6 wrote:

<snip>

As an aside, call me cynical, and if I’m wrong, I’ll be the first to put my hand up and apologise, but doesn’t the response above from ‘angela683’, hint at being an AI/bot generated reply? 

A very strong hint!

MarJanas
Tuning in

Hi. Thank for all your advices.  

There is no cable at all to connect anything now. Las team pulled it out from the green pipe which is sticking out on our drive. They said there is a blockage on the street and did a green mark where they thing next team needs to dig. 

In that case I think I need to wait for a VM technician to open up the road and install a new cable. I guess?  

I will  take some pictures tomorrow. 

Thanks

They removed all thic cable, there is nothing left in this green pipe. I don't know why they have done this. Was the cable too short to join it? They just said there is a blockage. 

Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta

They should have put a barrel in to keep you going while they deal with the blockage for wider reasons.