cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi keeps dropping out

Evelyn60
On our wavelength

This past five days we’ve experienced issues with our WiFi dropping out. It’s happening about every 30 minutes.  I have turned off hub/router. Have turned off devices , tried all suggested checks etc and still having issues.  We had no problem whatsoever until a few days ago.  It’s both annoying and frustrating. Could be in middle of something and get the dreaded you are no longer connected to Internet.  Any hints or tips appreciated but not too technical please.  I’m not tech savvy unfortunately.  Many thanks. 

80 REPLIES 80

Thank you. That start date does coincide with when our problems started, so fingers crossed for Friday 3pm!  Many thanks for getting back to me.

Hey MrsPanda, no problem at all.

Please do reach out if you require any further assistance. Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

Hello Paul, are you able to confirm that this is now fixed?  Then I can cancel my engineer visit.  Many thanks.

notablenews
Joining in

I am also having this issue since Virgin made "improvements" over the past week. Previously no issues but now the internet drops out almost every day. It seems to be triggered when I turn on my Roku TV. Never had an issue before, and it is very frustrating.

Thanks for your post @notablenews, and I'm sorry to hear of the recent issues experienced with the connection after we have attempted to improve the services.

Can you confirm if you have been able to attempt a pin hole reset on the hub since the work has been completed?

Do you also have any issues with devices that are connected via an Ethernet cable?

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

I have done a pin hole reset a few times, but I am still having the issue.

Nothing is connected via ethernet cables.

Everything seems to work well until I try to stream something on my Roku TV. A few minutes after the stream starts, the TV will say it lost connection and all of my devices will disconnect from the Hub. It often takes several minutes for devices to be able to reconnect to the hub, even though I can see my network listed in the available networks. When I look at the Router Status, there is no log of a disconnect or loss of connection even though nothing can connect. 

I never had any issues until about 2 weeks ago after "maintenance" in my area. 

Hi notablenews, thanks for the message and welcome back to the forums. 

I have looked into this and cannot see any drops since the last reboot, would you be able to monitor this and let us know if anything changes? I can confirm that there is no outages in the area and things are looking green. 

Please let us know if anything changes? - Chris. 

Stumac62
On our wavelength

Mine is the same, ever since being informed I had been upgraded! I need it fixed please. I've tried all the suggested ways to resolve, got nowhere.

Thanks,

Stu.

Hi Stu, welcome back to the community! Thank you for posting. 

Sorry to hear you are experiencing issues with your Wi-Fi since the free speed upgrade. 

Having had a little look on our systems there are no local issues which would be affecting you, and the connection reaching your hub from the exchange also looks good - with average speeds at 136mpbs download and 21 download in the past week. 
This would indicate that the issues are predominantly Wi-Fi Based. This could be caused due to the current set-up of your equipment / home / furniture or by wireless interference. Wi-Fi interference can caused by the signals coming from other routers or any electrical devices in close proximity. This interference can affect the speed & stability of the wireless signal.

There's a few different things you can try to help with this:

1) Check out our Connect app which scans your home and devices for issues, offering tailored solutions which can help! If needed, you can also order one of our Wi-Fi Pods to aid the coverage in your home. 

2) Check your advanced hub settings. You can read more about how to do this here. Make sure you have Wi-Fi optimisation enabled, and both Wi-Fi bands active. This allows devices to move freely across your two Wi-Fi networks, and optimise performance. 

3) Make sure your Hub is out in the open, away from any fish tanks, microwaves, fridges, baby monitors and cordless phones. These can all cause interference in Wi-Fi Signal. 

4) Use cabled connections where possible to free up your Wi-Fi bandwidth. 

Let us know how you get on following these steps and we will offer further support if needed! All the best. 

Molly

Over a month ago I have had to sign a new contract with virgin as my first 2 years has passed with with them. I have upgraded from 100mbps to 200mbps. Since that almost every week I have to call VM. They restore the service for couple of days, or like today for couple of hours and again WiFi is tripping every 30 seconds.

Does anyone know if I can downgrade to 100mbps package? Not sure what is going on here, but if it won't stop I believe it is breach of contract situtation and I should be able to terminate the contract?