cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi issues on HUB3

StephenO
On our wavelength

Hello,

I am about to upgrade from M125 to M250. The WiFi on the hub is getting worse with cutting out constantly.

I have to reset the hub at least once a Week it then works ok but after a few Days it starts again. I am on laptop not more 2 yards away in direct line, no interference from Speakers etc.......

I have been trying to contact VM but not having much luck. What I need to know is, Should I Continue trying to call or as I'm upgrading, Would I need a new HUB anyway?

If someone from the forum team could contact and let me know please, Or Does anyone know ?????

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Client62
Legend

Hub 3 can support all services except Gig1.
So a replacement Hub will usually be offered only if there is a fault to fix.

We have a Hub 3 and are very aware that having  Smart Wi-Fi Enabled and with Auto Channels Enabled the Wi-Fi service suffers random outages each time the Hub elects to change channels.

We solved the random Wi-Fi dropouts with the following Hub 3 menu settings :

Client62_0-1689525728997.png

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

15 REPLIES 15

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You wont get a different Hub for 250.  Only if its faulty will they swap it - probably for a refurbished Hub3.

Are the "cut outs" only evident on your wifi connections or do you see them at the same times on devices connected on ethernet cables? If you don't know, can you check to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection/Hub related?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Client62
Legend

Hub 3 can support all services except Gig1.
So a replacement Hub will usually be offered only if there is a fault to fix.

We have a Hub 3 and are very aware that having  Smart Wi-Fi Enabled and with Auto Channels Enabled the Wi-Fi service suffers random outages each time the Hub elects to change channels.

We solved the random Wi-Fi dropouts with the following Hub 3 menu settings :

Client62_0-1689525728997.png

Hello,

Only on WiFi it seems

StephenO
On our wavelength

Thank You, I will try that...Pretty sure I have it on the Auto channels and optimization

StephenO
On our wavelength

Sorry.

Does the Channel width make a difference?

My 5GHz setting is 20/40/80

And Wireless Mode make any difference too?

Client62
Legend

1) 2.4GHz should always only be 20MHz and on Channel numbers 1 or 6 or 11 no others. 
    Using 2.4MHz on 20/40 doubles the number of channel collisions, it is always best avoided.

2) 5GHz, decide based on if you have any kit that can use 802.11ac at 80 Mhz bandwidth ?  We don't have such kit.

3) We do not need the Hub to support 802.11a/b/g Wi-Fi modes for kit made between 1999 to 2005.

Hope that helps.

StephenO
On our wavelength

Some further info and help please.

I have to constantly turn off the 'enable channel optimization'

I save the 'disable' option but after a few Days it switches back again. I know when it has because any streaming I do, it buffers or cuts out completely. It's getting on my nerves.

Any ideas on why it keeps reverting back to optimization????

Client62
Legend

Our Hub 3 does not re-enable wireless channel optimization.
We can stream Netflix all evening via Wi-Fi & not a single glitch.

The VM Connect app will persist in re-enabling  wireless channel optimization.
Uninstall VM Connect app from all mobiles to prevent surprise changes to the VM Hub 3.

StephenO
On our wavelength

I don't have the app. I did try it a couple of Months ago but as you say, it started doing all sorts of strange things.

I might start a new thread as this is driving me nuts.