cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VPN Connection Issues - New Install

MajinB
Tuning in

Context

I have recently signed up to VM after their Nexfibre XGSPON became available in the area. My internal routr installation took place earlier this week (17/09/2024). The purchase of the package was made about 2 weeks prior. The Hub installed is the 5x, so no modem mode. My old ISP is still active at the address within the cancellation notic period.

Problem

As soon as VM was up and running, the first thing I noticed was issues with my Personal Internet Access (PIA) VPN. It had trouble connecting, and if it did manage to connect, the connection would quickly drop. Rinse and repeat. 

The bigger issue arises when trying to work from home. I tried connecting with my work VPN (Cisco Secure Client) and it just does not connect. Either saying "Could not connect to server. Please verify internet connectivity and server address". Or simply display "Limited Access - DNS Failure". 

This is completely unnacceptable. 

Solutions Attempted

1. Connecting my personal PC back to old ISP router - PIA VPN Works fine.
  2. Connecting Work laptop to old ISP router - Cisco Client VPN works fine.
  3. Connecting those devices to a mobile hotspot - Both PIA and Cisco work fine on personal and work computers.
  4. Connecting to VPN when connected to my virgin router - Fails to connect or DNS issues.
  5. Setting DNS to Open DNS on my PC while connected to virgin router - Still does not resolve the issue.
  6. Turning of parental controls from VM Security settings - Tried and does not resolve it.
  7. Turning off virus protection from VM Settings - Tried and does not resolve it.

Next Steps/Questions

1. Is there a solution to this?
  2. What solutions can I try beyond the ones already mentioned above?
  3. Is my cooling off period from when I place the order, or would it be from the 17th, when the installation happened?

These issues are completely unnacceptable for such a large ISP. If I cannot even use my service to work from home, then there isno point in having the higher speeds compared to my old ISP. I would appreciate any help or advice, as otherwise I would like to cancel asap before my cooling off period finishes, as I do not want to be stuck with VM for 18 months with no ability to use VPNs or Work from Home.

Thank You.

17 REPLIES 17

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Virginmedia don't support VPNs. In most cases they can be made to work but you are really on your own or with advice here from other users. 

Your 14 days starts from the time the service was first connected. Do not let offers to look into it drag you over the deadline. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Thanks for the advice jpeg1, I think I will be cancelling as I do not want to drag this out in the hopes of a fix which may never come.

Client62
Alessandro Volta

Customers with a DOCSIS "Hub 5" have found it necessary to Disable "Smart Security" via the VM Connect app in order to prevent the Hub 5 performing DNS query redirection to the Virgin Media DNS.

Could this also apply to the XGS-PON Hub 5x ?

No such options it seems in the smart connect app for the Hub5x. 

Also, attempting to cancel via whatsapp, agent is telling me even though I am within my 14 day cool off period, they require a 30 day notice. So the service will disconnect in a month and I will not be charged any termination fee. Is this accurate? Thanks

Client62
Alessandro Volta

DNS redirection is easy to spot, perform an nslookup using a Public DNS,
make sure the DNS Server that responds is the one you specified,
in the example below it is dns.google which is IP 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4

>> > nslookup hp.com dns.google
Server: dns.google
Address: 8.8.8.8

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: hp.com
Addresses: 15.73.145.56

carguy143
Tuning in

ISP (not Virgin) tech support here.

It may be worth asking your VPN provider to check your IP address and white list if needed. 

I work from home and had to tell my employer's IT dept that I am no longer on one of their connections and they unblocked my login to allow it to work from any IP address.

Thanks for the suggestion mate. I did reach out to my IT department today so awaiting a response.

I have proceeded with the cancellation now...a little bit in limbo as I have been given vague details. They did say though the service will not cancel until the 20th of October as a 30 day notice period is required even during the cool off period.

I will try to see if I can get my work vpn working during this time period, and if it does, I will look to continue the service, if not then it will save me a big headache. 

Hey mate, do you mean assign my personal pc to use open dns and then do the ns lookup to check its showing correctly?

Client62
Alessandro Volta

It does not mater how your PC's DNS is set for this test.

Issue the DOS command :

nslookup  hp.com  dns.google

and see if dns.google is the DNS Server responding.