cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VM issue with Sky Q

elJambo
On our wavelength

Hi all. Have came over from the Sky community. Several Sky Q users with VM broadband all experiencing connectivity issues. Nobody seems to know whether the issue is on VM or Sky’s side. 

Common denominators are; Sky Q user, Virgin Media Broadband, all experiencing “it looks like you do not have an internet connection” message on their TV, all reports coming from Glasgow/West of Scotland so far. 

My box is in wired. Others are a mix of wired and wifi. No wifi issues with other devices. Usual resets all done. Very strange issue. Any tech wizards on here any idea?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Holmzy56
Joining in

Hi,

I've had exactly the same issue all day. Sky Q would not connect to Virgin Hub 3 Internet. It would however connect to the router (but without internet). Tried every reset/reboot going.

Solution, change your Sky DNS to 1.1.1.1 and like magic it worked. 

- Settings - Status - Network Connection - Network Setup - Advanced Settings - IP Settings - Set Manually - DNS Server - 1.1.1.1 - Confirm - back. 

Hope this helps

Steve

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

Holmzy56
Joining in

Hi,

I've had exactly the same issue all day. Sky Q would not connect to Virgin Hub 3 Internet. It would however connect to the router (but without internet). Tried every reset/reboot going.

Solution, change your Sky DNS to 1.1.1.1 and like magic it worked. 

- Settings - Status - Network Connection - Network Setup - Advanced Settings - IP Settings - Set Manually - DNS Server - 1.1.1.1 - Confirm - back. 

Hope this helps

Steve

elJambo
On our wavelength

Cometh the hour, cometh the man. 

We’re back online. Thank you very much!

Client62
Legend

Use of a Public DNS bypasses the ( Enabled by default ) VM Child Safe a DNS content filter.

Good to have a easy to apply documented solution especially as the VM management page for Child Safe has been broken for months.

scarletp
Superfast

Hi there, I have been googling for 2 days with this exact problem so am very hopeful that once I am home I can try the solution with the same success. 

Could I be cheeky and ask you how long you had been noticing the problem as am curious why the error suddenly occurred after having had VM broadband hub 3, SKY Q and the Samsung Smart TV all working fine until about a week ago. 

Thankyou

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If removing the VM DNS Servers has fixed the issue, then it points to an issue with VM’s DNS Servers? Other Public DNS Servers are available btw.  Personally I use a mix of Cloudflare, Quad 9 and Pi-Hole. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks