cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to connect to work VPN

macdond
Joining in

I am unable to connect to my work VPN using VM broadband, able to connect fine over my mobile phone.   Anyone else got the same issue in West Lothian and can suggest solution.   VM technical support is extremely poor.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Client62
Alessandro Volta

If the VM home internet is not connecting to VPN the normal issue is "Child Safe" is enabled in the Virgin Media online account.   Login in and Disable the "Child Safe" content filter.

If you are not able to access the Virgin Media online account, or you disable Child Safe and the problem persists, change the work laptop's DNS to be a public DNS e.g. OpenDNS or Google DNS. There are notes below explaining the process for OpenDNS,  for Google DNS the exact same process but use IPs 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4

https://www.opendns.com/setupguide/

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

11 REPLIES 11

Client62
Alessandro Volta

If the VM home internet is not connecting to VPN the normal issue is "Child Safe" is enabled in the Virgin Media online account.   Login in and Disable the "Child Safe" content filter.

If you are not able to access the Virgin Media online account, or you disable Child Safe and the problem persists, change the work laptop's DNS to be a public DNS e.g. OpenDNS or Google DNS. There are notes below explaining the process for OpenDNS,  for Google DNS the exact same process but use IPs 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4

https://www.opendns.com/setupguide/

My child safe is disabled and unfortunately I am unable to change my DNS setting as these are managed by my IT services department.    Thanks for the pointers, much appreciated.

Client62
Alessandro Volta

The enabling / disabling of Child Safe has been an ongoing issue for 18+ months.
Does your connection behave like Child Safe is disabled. 

E.g. you visit websites related to VPN providers / Online Betting / or similar 18+ content does it work or fail ?

Everything is fine, apart from access to employer VPN.   All other staff on VM broadband are having the exact same issue as of today.   Speaking to the VM support desk is a waste of time, they have been totally useless. 

Client62
Alessandro Volta

If this VPN normally works it is up to the office VPN team to discover what has gone wrong today.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Test with hub in modem mode as VM router mode like to brake stuff 

---------------------------------------------------------------

Re the (sensible) suggestion above to "visit websites related to VPN providers / Online Betting / or similar 18+ content" I'd suggest just not doing a vigorous session of such testing on the work laptop 👍

---------------
Cancel VM here
Complain to VM
here
Demand compensation from VM here
Demand your call recordings here
Monitor the state of your VM connection here

No, agreed.   Issue is something to do with the DNS services virgin is providing, changed to open DNS and hey prestto it works again.   

Issue is something to do with the DNS services virgin is providing, changed to open DNS and hey prestto it works again.