cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble logging in to Hub 4 / Macbook Air connection

db101
Tuning in

Hi

We're having two related issues which I think need posting together. I'd be grateful for any help please.

1. We're having issues with a new Macbook Air having an extremely slow connection when connected to our Virgin broadband. It has an excellent connection everywhere away from home. It connects fine to WiFi at home (through our Hub 4), but the internet is so slow that pages regularly time out. We have tried turning off the Macbook's firewall and various other network settings, and ensured there are no VPNs etc. 

2. As part of troubleshooting, I want to connect to the Hub 4 and check if any settings are enabled which might be conflicting with the Macbook. When I log in via 192.168.0.1 it takes me to the sign in page. However, when I enter my password, it times out before loading the settings page. This happens whether I'm connecting via WiFi or through an ethernet cable, and whether it's through a phone, the Macbook or a different laptop. 

I know the password is correct: it is the default password for the Hub 4, and if I try any other password it tells me I've entered the wrong password. When I enter the correct password, it starts to load but simply times out with a blank white page. 

I've tried resetting the Hub 4 more than once using the reset button on the back, and also tried switching it off and leaving it unplugged for a while before restarting. The Hub 4's light is a solid white. The internet connection to other devices is usually fine, although we have been having some intermittent issues where the internet connection (but not the WiFi) drops for periods of time. Several of these should be logged on my account as I've run the online tests. 

Thanks for any help, and please let me know if you need further information. 

David 

15 REPLIES 15

Thanks John, appreciate the advice. As mentioned above, I've actually managed to resolve the Macbook issue by turning off Auto Proxy Discovery as suggested in a previous post - and I think that suggestion actually came from you so thank you!!  

Glad to hear everything has been resolved for you 🙂

If you need anything in the future you know where we are. Cheers 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

Hi Matt

Thanks but to be clear, the main issue hasn't been resolved. I've been able to fix the Macbook point but I still can't access the Hub's settings page, and we're still having increasingly regular dropouts. I asked above whether we could please have a replacement Hub provided - are you able to arrange that please? 

Thanks

Hi @db101 

Thanks for coming back to the thread.

You do need a tech visit having checked the drop outs on our side.

I'll send you a PM now to book this in.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Hi @db101 

Thanks for joining me on PM and confirming your details. This has allowed me to book in a tech visit for the hub issue. It'll be viewable shortly via the online account. If you have any issues with accessing your online account or unable to see your visit, please do let us know and we’ll pop you a message to confirm.

There will be no charge for this visit unless:
•              The technician diagnoses the faults as not being caused by our network/equipment 
•              The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to your equipment
•              The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to any system that we are not responsible for
The technician will confirm during their visit if any of these instances apply, and if so, a £25 charge will be applied to your account. 
Please ensure there is someone over the age of 18 present at the time of the visit. If you need to change or cancel your appointment you can do this online or via the MyVM app by 4pm the day before the appointment.
If you do miss an agreed appointment for any reason, a £25 missed appointment charge will be applied to your account on the day of the appointment.

Please let us know how the visit goes.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

I’m just adding to this thread to say that I’ve also encountered this bug and turning off Autoproxies has worked. Virgin actually replaced our router already because they thought it was a router issue. It got worse with the new one (though our coverage improved 

this seems to be an insane bug. The iMac we have works fine even though it connects over WiFi, but both MacBooks don't. To top it off both MacBooks are running different versions of MACOS. I can’t work out what is happening at all. I think maybe macOS is failing to find the WPAD file? Or not timing out and falling back on other methods when it can’t?