cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tado wont connect to hub5

Davey47
Joining in

Hi having problems connecting my tado bridge, power light on but router and cloud light are off, hve taken and plugged into different router and all lights come on, at wits end, no heating or water, anyone help?

16 REPLIES 16

Davey47
Joining in

Oh yeah forgot to add im plugged into ethernet, and in hub it says nothing connected

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Try a 60 second factory pinhole reset as below;
Remove any ethernet cables from the Hub and hold the pinhole reset switch for 60 seconds. Do NOT reboot the Hub, just let it do it's thing. Note you will need the passwords from the bottom of the Hub afterwards, so make sure they are legible. NOTE this will remove any custom settings you may have set in the Hub, and they will all have to be setup again.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Client62
Legend

Some of these heating devices require a network port that runs at 10 Mb/s.
VM's latest Hubs appear to be dropping support for 10Mb/s and supporting 100/1000 Mb/s plus Gigabit speeds.

A basic 10/100 network switch between the VM Hub  and the Tado would be worth a try, the network switch would re-create the 10/100Mb/s network connection and should cost around £10.

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

Have you tried anoher cable?

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The Tado unit only works at 10M so it’s not comparable with the latest VM hubs. You need a cheap switch between the hub and the Tado. You should still have heating as you can control the Tado system from the buttons the thermostat unit. Read the Tado docs.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

Any hub or router will work perfectly well with a slower device due to auto-negotiation. Auto-negotiation commonly supports speeds like 10Mbps, 100Mbps and 1000 Mbps as these speeds are the standard Ethernet speeds used in networking, it's known as backward compatibility.

--

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Davey47,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the community.

Sincere apologies for your devices being unable to connect to the network, has the above advice helped at all?

Also are any other devices facing the same issue?

Let us know,

Kain

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

"Any hub or router will work perfectly well with a slower device due to auto-negotiation. Auto-negotiation commonly supports speeds like 10Mbps, 100Mbps and 1000 Mbps as these speeds are the standard Ethernet speeds used in networking, it's known as backward compatibility."
The 3 speeds are not always present on new devices, a lot these days are dropping support for 10M. As VM do not supply technical details for their hubs you can only guess at the speeds of the ports.  Don’t forget there are still cheap routers out there that do not offer 1000Mbps.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

I am 100% certain that the hub 5 supports 10Mbps as this is the original Ethernet standard (I'm old enough to remember 10BASE5 with its thick coaxial cabling) and there are still many older devices that only support this speed. Backward compatibility is important and it is unthinkable that an ISP will force a hub or router onto customers which fails to support this speed.

--