cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solid red light, hub 3, NOT in modem mode.

laurllt
Tuning in

Hello all! I know there's a few posts about this but nothing suggested is working.

As stated, there is a solid red light on my mother's Hub 3. I've checked and it is not in modem mode. I just noticed it a few hours ago as the router is in my bedroom. The router is not hot to the touch (or what would be considered 'overheating' its just slightly warm like any electronic appliance, but my hands are freezing right now haha) 

I know that modem mode is technically a 'magenta' colour, my eyesight isn't the best but it is a kind of orangey red rather that appearing like it could be magenta (I know the leds are shi*e so I'm unsure if it's red or magenta) 

I have turned it off and on again. 

I have done a pinhole reset.

Neither has worked. What now? is it a case of getting out an engineer? 

I know it's an absolute pain to get through and book one and in the my virgin media login I haven't found anything except basic diagnostics, can't find if there's anyway to book an engineer. 

Please help! Thankyou in advance:) 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

BrownSauce
On our wavelength

The reason that 'nothing suggested is working' is because it's not expected to, they are just a requirement to solve the 'box-ticking' exercise that VM, or indeed any large company need to go through.

The Hub 3 is old, LEDs, and especially those, not entirely top quality ones, age and when they do their colour tends to shift towards the red end of the spectrum (for reasons which are actually tied to quantum mechanics, and nobody here has the time for that).

Anyhow, the fact that the aging LED has gone red is entirely understandable and is not, in itself, an issue.

Well except that, if, in the future the hub were to overheat and possibly cause a fire, how would you know? You've reported it on a VM official channel, so, of course, should the worst happen, then VM are absolutely on the hook for compensation*.

* and the reason I say that is that in a day or so this thread should be picked up by a member of the forum team, who will offer to contact you via personal message (PM) and get the hub swopped out.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

BrownSauce
On our wavelength

The reason that 'nothing suggested is working' is because it's not expected to, they are just a requirement to solve the 'box-ticking' exercise that VM, or indeed any large company need to go through.

The Hub 3 is old, LEDs, and especially those, not entirely top quality ones, age and when they do their colour tends to shift towards the red end of the spectrum (for reasons which are actually tied to quantum mechanics, and nobody here has the time for that).

Anyhow, the fact that the aging LED has gone red is entirely understandable and is not, in itself, an issue.

Well except that, if, in the future the hub were to overheat and possibly cause a fire, how would you know? You've reported it on a VM official channel, so, of course, should the worst happen, then VM are absolutely on the hook for compensation*.

* and the reason I say that is that in a day or so this thread should be picked up by a member of the forum team, who will offer to contact you via personal message (PM) and get the hub swopped out.

Vikki_M
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi laurllt,

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community.

I am sorry to hear about the issues you are having with the red light on the hub. 

If you have already followed the below steps, you will need a replacement hub. 

• Turn the power switch off on the back of the Hub. 

• Ensure the Hub is upright, in a well-ventilated location, and, if at all possible, out of direct sunlight. 

• Then use the power switch to turn the unit back on. The Hub should now operate normally. 

I will send you a private message now so we can arrange the replacement for you. Please look out for the purple envelope in the top right of the page and pop back to me when you can. 

Vikki - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

I have sent them

Vikki_M
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi laurllt

Thanks for getting back to me privately. 

I have booked you in for the next available appointment. To view this please sign into My Virgin Media here. Once you log in scroll down to Orders & appointments then click on View your orders. You can also view this in the My VM app

Just to confirm, there will be no charge for this visit unless:

The technician diagnoses the faults as not being caused by our network/equipment 

The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to your equipment

The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to any system that we are not responsible for

The technician will confirm during their visit if any of these instances apply, and if so, a £25 charge will be applied to your account.

Please ensure that someone over the age of 18 is at the property for the time the engineer is there. If the appointment is unsuitable, please reschedule the appointment on the same link. If you do miss the appointment for any reason, a £25 missed appointment charge will be applied to your account on the day of the appointment, so it is important to reschedule if needed. 

Do please let us know how the appointment goes. 

Take care.

Vikki - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide