cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router problem causing intermittent connectivity

AnneMou64
On our wavelength

Hi

I have had intermittent connectivity since Sunday 03 March. Router light shows orange. Obviously a faulty connection but intermittent.

Usual suspects checked. Plug, cables etc. Turned router off and on.

Frustrating to be informed on VM website that no probs with broadband in my area when there IS a problem.

Link sent to my mobile suggests I check back tomorrow! 

I need to claim compensation for lack of service which is difficult to do when a) fault is intermittent and b) nowhere on VM’s site to make such a claim!

Help please.

Many thanks.

7 REPLIES 7

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Orange light is meaningless - its just a fading/failing LED.

Check for known faults on the “free & automated” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually gives the most up to date info. and tells you of more local issues and fix estimates, down to street cab/ postcode level.

Firstly... Can we check… are your issues only evident on wifi connections or do you see them at the same times on devices connected on ethernet cables? If you don't know, can you check on one to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection/Hub related?

Compensation link below - you wont qualify though as you need 48h with no service

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/automatic-compensation

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thanks for reaching out to us @AnneMou64, and welcome back to our Community Forums!

Sorry to hear of the issues you've been experiencing with the services.

I've been able to look into the local area and can see that there is currently a sound to noise ration (SNR) outage at play, which is estimated to be resolved on 12/03/24 at 15:55.

We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause and our team will do all within their power to have this resolved for you and all other effect users.

Thanks

David_Bn

Hi David
Me again!

Had x3 text messages from VM simultaneously, informing me that outage won’t be fixed until 22 March 2024, fault F011222919.  It will then be over 3 weeks and VM website still informs me that ‘there is no broadband issue in my area!’

This is extremely frustrating and, apparently, I cannot claim compensation.

Help🙏

Hi @AnneMou64, thank you for your post.

We're sorry to hear you feel this way 😔

I can see the outage has now been marked as fixed. Is your broadband service now back up and running?

Regarding compensation, the issue will be assessed under our automatic scheme. More information on that can be found here

Regards,
Daniel

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Two points to note. Never rely on the website it only lists outages with a very large number of users are affected. Always use the phone number it goes down to post code local issues. Compensation is only paid after 2 days of a total outage.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Hi Daniel

Thanks for your reply.

Since the broadband issue has been intermittent since 03 March ‘24 (as notified already in previous emails to VM) and since I was texted twice, to say it was not going to be fixed until 22 March, I find it confusing when you say it is fixed.

For example, I have just tried to order a book online and my IPad simply buffered and I couldn’t connect to complete the order…..

That is what I mean by intermittent fault…. I never know when it will happen!

Therefore, when your company asked me to check the signal in each room, whilst I know how to do that, last time I tried, buffering prevented me from actually recording the signal.

As a VM customer this is so frustrating if, as you say, the problem has been fixed.

I have, as yet, as yet not received a text to tell me that all is well, just your email today.

Thank you for your time.

Kind regards

A very Concerned VM customer

Hello AnneMou64.

Thanks for your reply.

Apologies you never received the text to confirm the local issue was resolved.

Can you please let me know how the connection is now?

I did check your hub and power levels and are just out of the range we require.

Could you please unplug your hub for a few seconds when it is convenient for you.

Once you have, please let us know and we can check the power levels again.

It may be that we need an engineer to attend.

Gareth_L