cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor VPN speed

jon1331
On our wavelength

Hi,

On gig1 service with hub 5 and now subbed to 4 supposedly fast vpn's (proton, surfshark, nord & express) but the best result I've had is 230mbps on surfshark. Native ISP is 1143 confirmed with samknows reslspeed. Yesterday bought TP-Link AXE75 and connected up to modem mode but only got similar or worse with all VPN on and off was down on router mode max 853. I know the 2.5 gig port has issue. I had an unmanaged switch so had connection problems. So got a managed switch coming that can disable EEE. But Ive read this still only allows gig traffic through the 2.5 gig port. Need Virgin to fix firmware. I'm still on the dodgy version :(.

Any advice on how to increase my VPN speed? Support has got me to try things but nothing has worked so far. Always 1 VPN at once and to nearest Manchester server.

Thanks in advance.

25 REPLIES 25

@legacy1 wrote:

One possibility is VM hate VPN because they can't do ACK suppression in the VPN and so you do full ACK bandwidth in the VPN but what VM could do is rate limit a given size packets that may be ACK packets in the VPN and so your download speed is slow.

No, read the info on the VPN provider's site.

As expected speeds.

Proton support said same at 200 ish. Been on proton on a 2yr deal ending in may so was checking out other VPN's to see if improvement could be had but alas no.

OK gotta live with it then. Fair enough.

Thanks.

You can't expect to have a dedicated 10Gig server for £3.50/month.

OK point taken. Thanks.

Client62
Legend

Performing speed tests over a public VPN invites a bandwidth cap being imposed on the nuisance customer.

jon1331
On our wavelength

Bought a managed 8 port switch to disable EEE. Am I OK to connect the unmanaged switch to the managed switch rather than it be a paperweight?

Yes.

Thanks. So the EEE on the unmanaged will be disabled too? So I will have 8 useable POE++ & 5 POE+ then across 2x 8 port switches?

Cheers in advance.

As long as unmanaged switch isn't directly plugged into the HUB it won't matter.

It's the initial connection to the HUB that would affect EEE.

OK great stuff thanks. Much appreciated.