cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New laptop - connects but no internet - desperate, help!

Pipson
Tuning in

Hi there,

Really looking for help as I've tried everything I've read in here and no luck.

I got a new laptop even before I set up the account on it, when it asks you to connect to a WIFI (windows set up) my own internet would connect to it but it would say no internet so I had to set up my laptop via hotspot.

Once the laptop was fully set up, I tried again and it would connect to wifi but says secured no internet.

I have HUB 4 - I've logged into the HUB and not see any problems, Ive tested in mother in law house with HUB3 works, went to brother in laws house who has a HUB4 same as mine and it worked fine via wifi.

the internet works if I use lan, other devices in the house like phones and smart tv work fine but this new laptop when i connect via wifi the internet does not work via wifi.

How can I fix this as Im pretty sure it is my hub preventing this laptop to work properly via wifi?

8 REPLIES 8

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Wifi with VM have compatibility problems suggest you look for a better wifi router with 1Gb ports and put hub in modem mode

---------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry but that is not a solution to my problem? 
I’ve just plugged in my WiFi pod and it worked, the laptop connects to the pod and I have connection,

if I switch off the pod and laptop connects the router it says no connection, so something is clearly wrong with my router, how do I fix this?

@Pipson wrote:

Sorry but that is not a solution to my problem? 
I’ve just plugged in my WiFi pod and it worked, the laptop connects to the pod and I have connection,

if I switch off the pod and laptop connects the router it says no connection, so something is clearly wrong with my router, how do I fix this?

Just ignore them, they talk rubbish and don't really help most users on here.

Have you changed the SSID (Network name) of the HUB from standard?

As a test can you try enabling the guest network and checking if that allows your laptop to connect?

Client62
Alessandro Volta

What you are seeing can occur if either the Laptop encryption mode are not correct or the password are not correct.
Forget / re-create the laptop's Wi-Fi connection for the VM Hub.

VM Hubs + VM Pods enable a Hub function "Smart Wi-Fi" aka "Wireless Channel Optimization", this (non standard Wi-Fi) function can prove to be very incompatible with some Wi-Fi kit.  Try with the VM Pods turned OFF and the    "Smart Wi-Fi" aka "Wireless Channel Optimization" optimisation DISABLED via the VM Hub admin menu to see if that gets your laptop connected directly to the VM Hub.  

Keep the VM Connect app closed because given a chance it will attempt to re-enable "Smart Wi-Fi" aka "Wireless Channel Optimization" thus blocking the ability to perform a connectivity test.

Changing the name did not work.

created a guest network, same thing, connects and says no internet, secured

Disable Channel Optimization

did not work either =/

if my brother in law has the same hub as me and it worked, should i just ask VM to send me another hub? as I work hyrbid and I need the wifi to work with my laptop

Client62
Alessandro Volta

Using the VM Hub menu ( not the Connect app - it is too unreliable for this ) to make sure that...

1) Wi-Fi Pausing is Disabled

2) MAC Address Filtering is also Disabled

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@Pipson wrote:

if my brother in law has the same hub as me and it worked, should i just ask VM to send me another hub? as I work hyrbid and I need the wifi to work with my laptop

sure ask for another hub

---------------------------------------------------------------