cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New customer

EH1960
Joining in

Hi, my service is being installed next week, as I’m on a Volt package I’m entitled to free WiFi boosters, however I already have a TP-Link Deco M4 system, are the Virgin WiFi boosters better or should I stick with the Deco system?

1 REPLY 1

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Stick with the M4's - no contest!

Best way is to stick the VM Hub into modem only mode and connect up the Deco's as below.

Switch on and set up your own router or first Mesh unit (in its settings) to have its WAN port set to be in.. Dynamic/Automatic IP or DHCP (& Nat) mode, it may be pre-set that way anyway. Then, disconnect all cables from your new router (or all Mesh units) and switch them off and unplug them. Then, put the VM Hub into modem mode

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode

and wait for the base light to turn magenta/purple (on a Hub3 - but green on a Hub4 or Hub5).

Once it’s in modem mode, the VM hub “MUST” then be powered off. Switch your router on and make sure it’s fully initialised (leave 5 min) and then put in the Cat6a ethernet cable from its WAN port to the VM hub (any port will do).

NOW… power up the VM hub and wait 5-10 minutes for The Hub to initialise and and you should get a connection. Use the recommended App to connect any other Mesh units to the first one. This order only needs to be done the first time you connect the router to the VM hub. You might also set the SSID and key/password on the new router/Mesh to match that on the HUB so when you swap over, all your wireless devices should just connect automatically.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.