cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Macbook/Ethernet adapter/Hub 3 - No DHCP

anthonyqkiernan
Joining in

I have an USB-C hub with ethernet.  I have keyboard, mouse, power (usb-c), hdmi and ethernet connected to it.  Plugged into my work laptop (Lenovo notepad) everything works straight off as expected.  When I plug it into my Macbook Air (M2 running Sonoma 14.1.2) I cannot connect to the ethernet.  Everything else works fine

When I go into the network settings I can see a self-assigned IP address.  Which I believe means something isn't working with the DCHP. 

The network light is on on the usb-hub.  Logging into the Hub 3 shows (I think) that it's connected too.   (The other device is NAS drive)

anthonyqkiernan_0-1702422318554.png

Any ideas how to get this working?

I've tried manually replicating the IP addresses from the wifi.  Which gives me a greent 'connected' light.  But no actual connection

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Client62
Legend

Use the settings as mentioned above but do use:  IP 192.168.0.77 or even try IP 192.168.0.177

The IP must differ from all those in recent use by the Hub 3 DHCP server.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

11 REPLIES 11

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Well do we know the ethernet port work is one thing or bad cable

setup a fixed IP with the following

IP 192.168.0.77

subnet 255.255.255.0

gateway 192.168.0.1

DNS 194.168.4.100 and 194.168.8.100

do ping 192.168.0.1

---------------------------------------------------------------

Client62
Legend

Has the MACBOOK ever worked with the Ethernet adaptor of the USB-C Hub ?

No.  It's new.  This is my firstime using it with the Macbook

"I've tried manually replicating the IP addresses from the wifi. Which gives me a green 'connected' light. But no actual connection"

Those settings are the same as yours, except the IP address.  I've tried with your sugestion and get the same result

Edit: forgot to do the ping.  Restarted to do so, and it's working (on the manually entered same IP as was allocated to my Windows laptop - I don't know if that's relevant will mess about with the address later)

Client62
Legend

Use the settings as mentioned above but do use:  IP 192.168.0.77 or even try IP 192.168.0.177

The IP must differ from all those in recent use by the Hub 3 DHCP server.

Getting that same green 'conected' dot but no actual connection. For both of those options.  I've tried various random addresses too.  Plus using the one that's been allocated to the windows laptop that's working with the hub.  All the same

Edit: forgot to do the ping mentioned above. Restarted to do so, and it's working (on the manually entered same IP as was allocated to my Windows laptop - I don't know if that's relevant will mess about with the address later)

Client62
Legend

For a static IP we need a valid Gateway / Mask / DNS - the IP can be in the 192.168.0.xxx range.

Now you have confirmed the network connection can work, try setting the IP and DNS allocation back to DHCP/Auto and see if the connection can work without manual settings.

No. It’s still getting a self-assigned IP. 

It’s no longer working with the manually entered values either. Ping is saying host is down

legacy1
Alessandro Volta