cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 5x Modem Mode

ScottMcl
Tuning in

I've just had Vm internet installed today and was given the 5x hub with fibre in home set up. I've got my own mesh routers ready to go but the hub settings don't have a "modem mode" like all videos and forums online say it should. 

Any idea why I don't have this option ? 

75 REPLIES 75

Correct, I swapped to virgin to use my own system. Then was told I'm getting fibre in home. Didn't know it was a trial and didn't know I couldn't use modem mode. Engineer even thought I could, as I mentioned that's what I was going to do and he never battered an eye lid! Think it's just a trial thing as someone says and will be enabled via an update soon hopefully! 

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Personal view is that people in the trial areas are being not advised it is a trial, by certain unscrupulous ‘salespeople’ on extra commission, to get as many people signed up as possible.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

I think Seph, it’s much more likely that even the installer was unaware that Modem mode wasn’t an option and was simply offering to go into the menus, as normal, and enable it from there. Otherwise once the OP declined and they would do it themselves later, surely the installer would have said then that this wasn’t a customer facing feature?

It would appear, that in typical VM lack of any joined-up thinking, the customer services staff and even the installers themselves have been given only the minimum of training as to the ‘limitations’ and gotchas of this device.

As regard it being on a trial rollout, like Tudor, I suspect this is being deliberately not relayed to potential customers through fear of losing sales. The point about being a trialist, is that you are supposed to be fully aware that this is the case, that the equipment you are being given is not properly finished and may well crash, fail, be missing features, but you are prepared to put up with this in return for getting early access, and are fully prepared to be a sort of unpaid beta tester!

Anyone remember when the Hub 5 was first released? The telephony didn’t work, the Pods didn’t work, the firmware did seem, in fact some say, still is, somewhat flakey! Also remember all the posts on here from customers not at all happy that they had been sent one of these hubs and blissfully unaware that they were effectively ‘trialists’?

A bit ‘Groundhog Day’ wouldn’t you say?

Now it is perfectly true that if you live in an area where VM are deploying XGS-PON, then, yes you need a different hub than everyone else, and that’s perfectly understandable, and also that VM need large scale trials of the equipment. But, it should be made clear to anyone signing up, that this is the case!

Actually, I think they probably could if they thought it would be in some way advantageous. Although we all advocate running in modem mode, out of the, what 5.5 million broadband customers that VM have, how many actually do this? If it’s a relatively small percentage, and presumably VM know who is and who isn’t then they may well conclude that removing this option might not lose them too many customers, but if it, in some way simplifies the backend infrastructure requirements and/or support requirements, then, from their perspective, it may seem an attractive proposition.

Edit …

By the way, this post should have been a reply to Seph’s earlier post saying that VM wouldn’t dare remove modem mode, the threat of other providers being too great.

Now I’m sure I hit the right ‘Reply’ button but the all new and improved forum software seem to have ignored it and stuck this post at the end, where alas it does seem a bit of a non sequitur!

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

Modem mode option is between Connected devices and Advanced settings. Can't say why if it's not there for a particular hub.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

everything seemed to be done from the PDA activation of the hub/tv etc looked kinda advanced, last time I've had virgin installed properly, they had to call up to get the hub activated ( was moons ago)

He did an install just before mine which he put into modem mode, from what it seemed like, they could do it his end.

Unless there's a hidden menu? or their pda can connect to it in a different way.

Connection: Virgin FTTP Gig2 (XGSPON)

was 100% told it was a trial, all information / free for 6 months etc, the free £200 amazon vouchers etc all included in the trial? afaik. 

@ScottMcl has your upload changed or your package on realspeed?

@Roger_Gooner

Martyn_0-1686521424476.png

Martyn_1-1686521434004.png

that's all from the dropdowns

I wasn't told it was a trial, not offered a deal other than half price for 1st 6 month then £32 pcm after for 256mb. Only other BB on my area is 22mb maximum BT, so really needed this

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

Just to confirm: you have M250 and the hub 5x?

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection