cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 5x Modem Mode

ScottMcl
Tuning in

I've just had Vm internet installed today and was given the 5x hub with fibre in home set up. I've got my own mesh routers ready to go but the hub settings don't have a "modem mode" like all videos and forums online say it should. 

Any idea why I don't have this option ? 

75 REPLIES 75

Hi,

Can confirm, no modem only mode. Just installed today. My BT mesh system working ok as it's not a router, but wanted to upgrade to a 6E mesh 😞

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Modem mode will eventually be available on the Hub5x, but is missing because VM want the Hub5 tested in ‘normal’ users mode.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Client62
Legend

Below is a HUB 5x / Sagemcom F5685LGB-VMB used for XGS-PON / PIA  connections.

As HUB 5x does not have a modem mode, a 3rd party Mesh would work configured in Access Point mode.

VM_PIA_hub5x_connection.jpg

Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta

@Tudor wrote:

Modem mode will eventually be available on the Hub5x, but is missing because VM want the Hub5 tested in ‘normal’ users mode.

Is that what they told you, my friend?   Then they shouldn't be supplying a trial device to unsuspecting clients.  Have the VIPs told them that?  

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

the installers can put them in modem mode it seems, was offered it but told them no its ok Ill do it later on, only to find that it can't be done manually -.-

anyone on the new network had the upload upgrade? my realspeed package has changed to 1000x100 but the actual speed hasn't changed at all. 

Connection: Virgin FTTP Gig2 (XGSPON)

Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta

The only way I can imagine an installer setting up modem mode is by calling networks to send a management code to unlock the relevant firmware code.  We’ll never know!

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Maybe VM are dumping modem mode to get rid of people who want to control their own networking kit ..... 😉

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta

@Adduxi wrote:

Maybe VM are dumping modem mode to get rid of people who want to control their own networking kit ..... 😉

They wouldn't dare.  The FTTP competition are knocking on its door.

@Sephiroth wrote:

@Tudor wrote:

Is that what they told you, my friend?   Then they shouldn't be supplying a trial device to unsuspecting clients.  Have the VIPs told them that?  

The hub 5x is supplied to broadband-only XGS-PON trialists.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Is the OP a triallist?  I rather think not. Just an unsuspecting client.