cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 5 Network Switch

mulder10941
Tuning in

Hello

Forgive me, I have tried searching for an answer to this but I cannot find one.

I've a Hub 5 and at the moment I have it connected via the 2.5GB port to an ASUS router, which also has a 2.5GB port.

I want to add a network switch (5 x 2.5GB ports) so that I can then use more 2.5GB devices. 

My question is, can I simply run a CAT 6e or 8 cable from the 2.5GB port on the Hub 5 to the switch and then run the same cable type from the switch to the 2.5GB port on the ASUS Router? 

If this is possible, I would assume I could then use other devices plugged into the rest of the 2.5GB ports on the switch?

31 REPLIES 31

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

The way to utilise the speeds of the network switch is to connect it to the hub in router mode (which means not using the ASUS).

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

AaranAdams
On our wavelength

Please don't spread false information.  As I said I use a undocumented feature as my router don't have the 2.5gb port, but I still have full speed.  When VM kills the load balance on the super hub 5 I will be getting the ax88u pro as it has the 2.5gb port. 

Here's a screenshot of my current speeds with VM

Screenshot_20230825-185834.png

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

VM should change "We like it fast" to "We like it fast are way"

---------------------------------------------------------------

Tbf there not as bad as my old ISP (sky).  I mean having to use wireshark to get my username and password and using Asus's authentication feature was a pain (the reason I bought this router first of all).  At least you can put the super hub 5 into modem mode.  It's just a shame they killed the load balance feature on the superhub 4.  Although with the superhub 5 they have the 2.5gb port to allow you to utilise the full speed.  Providing you have a router with a 2.5gb wan port.  We'll see how it goes.  I really don't want to spend another £250 on a new router 😕

I have the hub 5 and the 1gig package and an Asus with 2.5gb wan port. This is the problem though as the other ports on the ASUS are 1gb and obviously wireless won't ever get the full 1gb usage either.

Which is why I thought perhaps a multiple 2.5gb switch would work as I'd put a cable from the 2.5gb from the hub 5 to the switch then run a cable from the switch to the 2.5gb on the ASUS (which as I understand it can also be lan) so that would still power my WiFi setup and then also run a cable from the switch to my laptop which has 2.5gb ethernet. But from these answers I don't think it's possible 

I'm intrigued by this since the Asus routers generally don't support rr, just bonding (802.3ad)?

Does the Merlin firmware give you more options?

I use this switch:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-MS108EUP-Multi-Gig-Ultra60-Managed/dp/B09MDD6FBN

Your Asus should support Bonding (802.3ad) on ports 1 and 2 (Under LAN / Switch Contol).

The above switch support this, so I have two 1Gbps connections setup as LAG (Link aggregation) between the Asus and switch, then 6 spare ports for 2.5Gbps devices.

Ahh OK. Thank you for this. 

So if I understand correctly

1 cable from hub 5 2.5gb port to the switch and the 2 cables from the switch to the ASUS (with the ASUS setup correctly) would be my solution? 

It's always been a feature in Asus software (depending on the router).  It's just hidden in the wan settings.  It also has wan aggregation, but the hub 5 does not support this, well I can not get it to work.

Screenshot_20230825-205007.png