cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 5 - Is it true you cant use 2.5gb WAN port in Modem mode?

wright_here22
Joining in

Hi Everyone,

So, I have 1Gb connection which is working and with that I got a new Hub 5. The WIFI was hopeless and kept dropping out. 

So, i will be (as many of you have/do) go over to a 3rd party wifi router, however i have now read that you can only connect via network port 1 which is 1gb only. Can this be right?

Some wireless routers have a 2.5gb WAN so thought that would be great to maximise my speed.

Why on earth does Virgin not allow the use of a 2.5gb port?

Thanks in advance

16 REPLIES 16

bally12345
Dialled in

They do. I have my SH5 in modem connected to my Unifi Dream Machine Pro router using the 2.5Gb ports

Screenshot_20221020_124630.jpg

So... 

This is where I got the information from....

Re: hub 5 modem mode

on ‎16-05-2022 16:10

Hi @kannanni - thanks for getting in touch. I hope you're enjoying the Hub 5 and all of the benefits and features it has to offer! 

When in Modem Mode, only one port on your Hub 5 will work - this will be Port 1. Once you have connected this up to your equipment, you'll just need to give your Hub 5 a quick reboot and it will then be configured on our end. You'll then need to configure your equipment as per the manufacturer's guide.
@shecal to get your Hub 5 into Modem Mode, you can follow the guide here: https://www.virginmedia.com/help/broadband/reboot-or-reset-hub and then selecting the "Putting the Hub into modem/router mode".
Cheers,

Reece - Forum Team

Iv not looked at the numbers but the 2.5gb port 100% works.

They might have meant one port, rather than port 1?

Or more likely they simply mistaken. As if that was the case there really would be zero advantage especially as 1gbps tops out around 930mbps on gigabit eth

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

"When in Modem Mode, only one port on your Hub 5 will work - this will be Port 1."

TOTALLY WRONG, yes only one port will work, but you can use any port. You should use port 4 which is the 2.5G port, works perfectly on my Hub5 connected to my Ubiquiti Dream Machine Pro router with an SPF+ port with a RJ45 module.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

+1 for above. I was using the 2.5 in Modem  mode when I had the Hub 5. 🙏

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks Everyone👍

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @wright_here22 thanks for your post although I'm sorry to hear of your concerns raised here.

I do apologise for the confusion here, hopefully thanks to @Adduxi and @Tudor and @bally12345's help, you've been able to get this sorted!

If you need any further help in the future please don't hesitate to let us know.

Many thanks

Tom_W

martin9595
On our wavelength

I got my hub 5 today (was on 1gig with a hub4) and the 2.5gbps port works as expected in modem mode.  This is my connection in pfsense 

martin9595_1-1666633546447.png

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for updating the thread martin9595. 

Please get in touch if we can assist in the future. 

Thanks, 

Nat