cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do virgin allow engineers to put a second fibre out put in another room

Revans057
Tuning in

Hi 

Basically I have got 1 gigabyte  download and my Internet is averaging at 260 -300 for WiFi and where my work room is, I would have to lay down a 15 meter Ethernet cable which is not a good idea due to the children and the wife would not be happy, I've tried to links with 1300 g channels and using cat 7 cable and only getting 189g-230g so I'm getting the electric wiring is old sorry forgot to say also is I've moved home and where I live has all internal solid walls so wifi has a hard time traveling about the home I'm using a WiFi pod at the moment and to no joy as it really improves. I have used Samknows speed test and moved the modem in different places and its 1 and half meter away from the electric output. So what I'm really asking would or do by putting in a extension cable line for other rooms at a cost. I would have phoned up but it's hard to understand customer service and evertime they keep getting me to do the same tests with the same outcome. 

Many thanks for taking the time to read this post 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Client62
Legend

260 - 300Mb/s on Wi-Fi is very decent, if speed tests are your only concern you could spend money here and have little or no obvious change for the real WFH experience.

If VM do supply a second connection that would result in a second subscription fee, that is not good value for money.

It would be a less costly to have an network cable run externally to the office from the VM Hub, or to pay £25 to have the VM Hub relocated into the office if that is where you have the need for speed.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

Client62
Legend

260 - 300Mb/s on Wi-Fi is very decent, if speed tests are your only concern you could spend money here and have little or no obvious change for the real WFH experience.

If VM do supply a second connection that would result in a second subscription fee, that is not good value for money.

It would be a less costly to have an network cable run externally to the office from the VM Hub, or to pay £25 to have the VM Hub relocated into the office if that is where you have the need for speed.

Thank you for your advice. Having a cable running about is risky at the moment, having a 4 year old daughter about the house would be a bad idea, but in the future I would be a good idea as regarding moving the modem it would only swap the problems for the other room. I was hoping they could extend by putting an extension from the main output would be handy .

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

VM do not run ethernet cables.  The advice by @Client62  is correct.  They will only move your Hub to your other room.  An external cable is a good solution you can either do yourself, or a decent electrician will do this.

Alternatively VM do supply up to 3 Wifi extender Pods for £8pm (free on the top Tiers) and this may help, however they need to be plugged into electrical sockets btw.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/wifi-max - Wifi Pod information

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Understood and thank you for the help 😊

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Ethernet cables to wireless access points is always the best solution.

But... look at the TP-Link Deco range of mesh wifi systems... one of those ought to sort your wifi issues

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.