cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moved house - 18 month contract restarted

grantt93
Tuning in

I need your help to cancel my contract, I'm being required to pay early disconnection fee and I don't believe I should.

In January 2024 I moved back to my family home, so I've been trying to cancel my Virgin Media contract as I've no need for it. I've been on the same package for almost 3 years now, so I had way surpassed the 18 months minimum term...

Problem is, I moved house before, back in Jan 2023 (with only 4 months left on my minimum term).

I simply requested an address change, I kept my package and everything else the same. To be honest, I was downsizing so I said I didn't need this strong a WiFi but on the phone they said to keep it (that I was on such a good deal I'd be paying more for less strength!)

So my package stayed the same (Gig1 Fibre Broadband). But when I moved I was given a new contract. The new contract says "You bought Gig1 Fibre", even though the last one was also Gig1 Fibre + the same price. But another 18 months of minimum term began and I now can't leave without a fee until August 2024...

I saw Kieth from the Forum Team wrote this:

"When moving home, as long as you keep everything the same, then your price and contract term would continue. The only thing that would change is your first bill as you are effectively starting again with a new account."

This applies to me. But I've not been able to sort this out in spite of calling customer care, after much to and fro they have said they'd investigate and call me back on certain days. But they've not followed through with these calls.

I've now already lost upwards of £200 in monthly payments for broadband I don't use anymore waiting on a response. 

In an ideal world, if you can get me a refund for these (or any payment made after the day I first called VM customer care to attempt to cancel) then that'd be most appreciated. But just being able to leave this contract would be enough. 

2 REPLIES 2

grantt93
Tuning in

To make this more succinct: 

I'm trying to leave my contract, but I've been told my contract won't let me until August 2024. 

This is because when I moved last year, the contract began again (although I only requested to change address + my package and price stayed the same). So instead of being able to leave in May 2023, my minimum term has now been extended to August 2024. 

I've tried customer care and they weren't able to help, it's been a while now and they haven't called back with an answer like they told me they would. Can you help?

Hi @grantt93,

Welcome back to our community forums and sorry to hear there is confusion regarding your contract term since your house move. We can understand the frustration caused and want to best help. I have sent you a private message. Please keep an eye out for an envelope at the top right corner of your Forum page. Let me know if you have any issues locating this.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs