cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contract renewal deal help .

neil100
On our wavelength

Being a Virgin customer from day 1, My contract is finished on my statement it says next months bill £93 . We are being made redundant  at work , my co-worker is on the same package as me and pays about £85 per month. His daughter rang virgin and got reduced services what's now took his bill down to £32 a month . I rang virgin to do the same , I don't use my house phone and don't really watch tv. use internet mostly for Netflix and YouTube. Customer services said no way could they do me a deal like that and the minimum they could do was £65 a month for 18 months. I said ok I will look at different service providers who can do a better deal . They said ok then have a nice day . Does it depend on who you get to speak to then, who can sort out a deal ? another worker get Talk Talk deal for £28 a month . 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

unisoft
Well-informed

@neil100 wrote:

Being a Virgin customer from day 1, My contract is finished on my statement it says next months bill £93 . We are being made redundant  at work , my co-worker is on the same package as me and pays about £85 per month. His daughter rang virgin and got reduced services what's now took his bill down to £32 a month . I rang virgin to do the same , I don't use my house phone and don't really watch tv. use internet mostly for Netflix and YouTube. Customer services said no way could they do me a deal like that and the minimum they could do was £65 a month for 18 months. I said ok I will look at different service providers who can do a better deal . They said ok then have a nice day . Does it depend on who you get to speak to then, who can sort out a deal ? another worker get Talk Talk deal for £28 a month . 

Unfortunately, you have to be deadly serious with cancelling via "Leaving Virgin" option on the phone. Don't go through to standard Customer Service as you will get the run around.

You may get decent offers but often you have to actually give notice, then someone rings you back if you have the marketing option enabled in My Virgin Media. In my case, SMS texts that started past few days up until yesterday were too late from them and had already signed up with someone else. It's my last day today after being a customer since 2007. Here was my example: £75.07 down to £17 after cancelling. Offshore retentions had really messed me around on the phone (whereas previously UK would discuss options) so I decided to walk and its unlikely I will come back while unfair contracts in-place with no escape clause (friends and family will now do the same, as well as my O2 VOLT SIM in June). Everyone's offer from VM would be different and that offer could have just been for 100mbps broadband not the 500mbps I was on (with free VOLT uplift to 1gbps). I don't know because the offers came in far too late and was not going to mess new provider around when they had been super efficient from start of provisioning.

The main thing for me wasn't the service, as it worked well in my area, it was unfair contracts like 18 months insistence with up to 2 price increases during that legal contract with the escape clauses now removed. You are signing up to unknown price increase amounts with no free escape route if too much.

So be prepared to walk if required BUT you can slum it on monthly Now FTTC Broadband for 3 months then come back to new customer deals if you wanted, with topcashback/Quidco cashback and any free gifts at the time VM are offering like TVs, Bill Credit etc. Assuming you have FTTC in you area that is or use 4G/5G if fast enough by a USB dongle or MiFi device. Alternatively, cancel and then sign up in partner's name at same address. Many done that on here before (though I have never done this route).

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

unisoft
Well-informed

@neil100 wrote:

Unfortunately, you have to be deadly serious with cancelling via "Leaving Virgin" option on the phone. Don't go through to standard Customer Service as you will get the run around.

You may get decent offers but often you have to actually give notice, then someone rings you back if you have the marketing option enabled in My Virgin Media. In my case, SMS texts that started past few days up until yesterday were too late from them and had already signed up with someone else. It's my last day today after being a customer since 2007. Here was my example: £75.07 down to £17 after cancelling. Offshore retentions had really messed me around on the phone (whereas previously UK would discuss options) so I decided to walk and its unlikely I will come back while unfair contracts in-place with no escape clause (friends and family will now do the same, as well as my O2 VOLT SIM in June). Everyone's offer from VM would be different and that offer could have just been for 100mbps broadband not the 500mbps I was on (with free VOLT uplift to 1gbps). I don't know because the offers came in far too late and was not going to mess new provider around when they had been super efficient from start of provisioning.

The main thing for me wasn't the service, as it worked well in my area, it was unfair contracts like 18 months insistence with up to 2 price increases during that legal contract with the escape clauses now removed. You are signing up to unknown price increase amounts with no free escape route if too much.

So be prepared to walk if required BUT you can slum it on monthly Now FTTC Broadband for 3 months then come back to new customer deals if you wanted, with topcashback/Quidco cashback and any free gifts at the time VM are offering like TVs, Bill Credit etc. Assuming you have FTTC in you area that is or use 4G/5G if fast enough by a USB dongle or MiFi device. Alternatively, cancel and then sign up in partner's name at same address. Many done that on here before (though I have never done this route).

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

IMHO you need to be a lot more specific about what services you have, and want.

VM operate a multi-bundle discounting system where the more services you take, the more generous discounts and thus the lower per-unit price. Conversely, prices go up with fewer services. Landline phones especially, are often cheaper to have than not.

I suspect you're looking at broadband-only packages, in which case VM have never been overly competitive and you may well find cheaper alternatives. The one bit of regular advice if you choose to disconnect is to ensure a period of overlap between VM and your chosen new provider - it's all too easy for there to be a problem with a new service and when a working service is then cancelled, you're high & dry without an internet connection.

If you're financially able to cover both services for a short time, it means you won't be offline.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @neil100

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community forums. We're here to help.

I'm sorry to hear that you're unhappy with your current bundle and that some other offers you've discussed with the team you've not been interested in. Our offers are subject to change, meaning a deal available one day may no longer be available the next and vice versa.

Did you discuss any other offers with the team which may offer different services at a lower price?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!