cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancelling on contract after renewal

Calzor_Suzay
Tuning in

Odd circumstances but I need to change my package with VM as we barely use it and costs a fortune.
Currently have TiVo, landline, Broadband (With Volt) and O2 payg sim (hence Volt)

I'm out of contract on a bad rate and want to remove Tivo and the landline as I/we use neither.
Don't have much problem with this it's just a negotiation with someone at VM.

but...
Two scenarios may happen in the next few months.

a) I sell my house, have no where to go due to legal matters and move in with my parents for a few months.
They live in the middle of nowhere and the only broadband provider is BT. The small print on the Early Disconnection Fee reads as:-
"give us some valid evidence of your new address, we’ll credit you back the early disconnection fee... you’ll get a request for valid proof of your new UK address. If we get this back within 30 days and it’s validated..."

What is proof and validated? I won't be on the electoral register or anything like that.
Also chances are after a few months I'll move back to a VM area and want broadband back are they then going to go ha! you was trying to dodge the early exit fee and slap me for it on a new contract?

b) I sell my house and move to another inside the VM area at which point I assume I can just transfer my contract back over and continue with the existing term?

3 REPLIES 3

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you do sell your house and move to an areaa not serviced by VM then you would need to contact  the Homemovers team by dialling 150 from a Virgin phone, or 0345 454 1111 from any other phone. They  will check their database to see if there is any possibility that they can provide services at your new home. 

VM will still charge the early termination fees but will then refund them as long as you give them evidence, within 30 days of cancelling, of you residing at the new property. They will give you the details of where to send the evidence.

The accepted documents showing your new address are :- 

bank statement, driving licence, insurance policy, mortgage information, rental agreement or utility bill

(It looks like the simplest solution there would be to change the address your bank statements are sent to, or update your driving licence address)

Yes you can transfer your contract to another address that VM service and continue with the existing term providing you don't make any changes to your services. If you alter anything then it would start a new minimum term  contract.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Thanks for the information.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Also just be aware that disconnecting your landline especially, can be counter-productive if you're hoping to save costs. VM operate a multi-buy discounting system where additional services result in lower per-unit prices. Landlines especially, are often discounted more than they cost.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks