cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancelled Broadband within Cooling off Period, still trying to charge!

23ammo
Tuning in

Hi all!

I had fibre broadband installed on 6/3/24.

I called customer services to cancel the service on 19/3/24, which was within the cooling off period (just!).

I had several complaints regarding the service I received within that period!

• Being lied to by 3 different agents re: hardware order - was never ordered nor expedited as a priority order as promised.

• agent providing wrong information that a cancellation charge for the 24mth contract would apply, eventually she hung up on me!

• it took 6hrs and 7 different agents to actually get the contract cancelled 🤯

Now telling me I have a ‘discounted’ final bill…My understanding is that the cancellation should have been immediate and there would be no charges applicable; the cancelling agent confirmed everything was zeroed.

However, the email confirmation I have received states that the cancellation will be completed today 26/03/24, which it was.

I am not sure why there was an 7day period before disconnection? Is it so Virgin can charge me when I've cancelled the service!

Has this cancellation been processed correctly by Virgin Media?

My app shows a bill for £93.99, I was told today I owe £43.43…why am I to pay this?

12 REPLIES 12

23ammo
Tuning in

Hi @laraathey / @Joe180t, did either of you get a successful resolution?

I’m in a similar situation!!

Cardiffman282
Knows their stuff

Ammo do please let Ofcom know all about your cancellation experience with VM https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Community-Natter/Breaking-OFCOM-investigating-VM-over-difficult... 

I'm not a Very Insightful Person (just a little bit, sometimes). I don't work for Virgin Media (but then nor do any of the offshore customer service agents).

Matthew_ML
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey 23ammo, thank you for reaching out and a warm welcome to the community we are sorry to hear.

If you have left during your 14 day cooling off window we would charge for what has been used.

I can see you've spoke to someone after posting this message, did they look into this for you? 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

Morning Matt,

When did I speak to someone? I posted around midnight, there was definitely no Virgin staff available at that time 😆

Which dates would you charge for 6th - 19th, 6th - 26th or 19th - 26th? 

Please DM me 👍🏼

The latest Ts and Cs state "we may require you to pay us an amount proportionate to any services which we have provided you up until the cancellation date". 

I'm not a Very Insightful Person (just a little bit, sometimes). I don't work for Virgin Media (but then nor do any of the offshore customer service agents).

My argument there is they only provided part of a service...I didn't have full use of my internet/wifi throughout my property 🤷🏼‍♂️
They obviously agreed there was an issue as they offered me £5 discount off my bill, before I put in the cancellation!!

What does it say on your bill the usage was for?

Does it mention the dates at all you used the service on? 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

IMG_3917.jpeg

 not very detailed!

On the app 'Latest Bill' is Unavailable!

The breakdown is not conclusive as to what I am paying for! I understand £93.99 was for this month and a month ahead plus activation, but even that doesn't add up correctly!

I'd have expected the billing dates to coincide with installation and cancellation, not for the period in which I don't have the service! 

I genuinely feel like they pluck numbers out of thin air and expect customers not to question it!