cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Withheld Numbers Bypassing Call Guardian

petermc
Tuning in

Hi,

Ive recently connected to the new phone system and have a BT Phone with a built in call blocker.  I think it used to be called Call Guardian but is now called True Call.

Basically, when someone calls, they have to announce who they are and press the # key for the call to come through to me.

This is all working fine for calls from people with a visible phone number but people calling from withheld numbers are coming straight through without having to announce themselves.

I can see that this has been brought up once before and the two bits of advice were to reboot the hub and also to make sure the Caller Display feature was enabled.  I’ve checked with Virgin who have confirmed that caller display is enabled and I’ve also just rebooted the hub but the issue is still there.  I’ve also taken the phone to someone else’s house and tried it on their line and it works fine so it is not an issue with the handset.  It seems to be an issue with my phone line.

21 REPLIES 21

goslow
Alessandro Volta

This has been mentioned before on BT phones.

Is this something that was working and has just suddenly stopped?

Or has it stopped after a VM 'switchover' to a phone connection from the back of the hub?

Here was a recent suggestion you could try (which was a BT phone with trueCall not working after switchover)

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/TrueCall-phones-announce-feature-after-switchover-to...

Hi @petermc 

Welcome to the community forums 

Sorry to hear you're having issues with your landline were withheld numbers are bypassing your True Call. 

I have also double checked the systems at my side and can see that all is enabled 

Has the work around that is advised in the link @goslow helped to stop the bypassing of withheld numbers calling through? 

The work around is advised to On the BT4600 select menu, then Settings, then Call Settings, then First Ring - set it "on".

Please let us know if you are having any further issues or have any questions at all. We'll be here to help on the community forums if needed :). 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

Hi, I’ve just tried that and it didn’t solve the problem unfortunately.

Thanks for the reply goslow.  Didn’t solve the problem though unfortunately.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Are you using a BT Premium phone?

Is this something that was working and has just suddenly stopped?

Or has it stopped after a VM 'switchover' to a phone connection from the back of the hub?

Sorry to hear that this has not worked for you @petermc 

Can you please advise what BT phone model you have and I'll inquiry further at our side?

Here to help 🙂
Carley

It doesn’t have a model number.  Just says BT Advanced Phone with 100% call blocking and answer machine.  This is the Amazon link https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0787GLHCZ?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

BT Advanced, not Premium.  I only bought it recently so wasn’t using it before the changeover.

Thank you for providing that information @petermc 

I will raise this with the team now to investigate further. 

So, just to confirm, have you had BT true caller before working at your property on an older phone, or is this the first phone you've had that has had the feature? 

Here to help 🙂
Carley