cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why can't I get virgin media both neighbours have it?

Thora
Joining in

Both neighbours have virgin media installed. But I've been told that I can't receive any services. I've contacted virgin 4 times, they were supposed to call me back. But never do. Every house on the road is listed when you check to see if you can get the service except mine. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

th3rdroc
On our wavelength

Hi, some background info before an answer of sorts....

virgin use their own cables etc, so totally separate to bt. This means virgin need to have cables running past your property which they can tap into and run to your house. Note all other providers piggy back on bts lines.
if your neighbours have virgin, this means you probably will be ok. I say probably as i have virgin as i have a frontage to the main road and virgin ran a fibre cable up my garden to my house. One neighbour also has main road access and has virgin. The other neighbour has no main road access and cant access virgin (unless virgin invest in running fibre into the housing estate itself, not likely for now)

so, if your property has direct acces to wherever your neighbours cable goes to, you can get virgin. It must be direct access, not through someone elses property..

assuming you do, then virgin ought to be ok.....i say ought as their systems may not recognise you have access. I had to convince virgin i had main road access when i originally moved from bt....Good luck talking with them 🙂

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

445 REPLIES 445

th3rdroc
On our wavelength

Hi, some background info before an answer of sorts....

virgin use their own cables etc, so totally separate to bt. This means virgin need to have cables running past your property which they can tap into and run to your house. Note all other providers piggy back on bts lines.
if your neighbours have virgin, this means you probably will be ok. I say probably as i have virgin as i have a frontage to the main road and virgin ran a fibre cable up my garden to my house. One neighbour also has main road access and has virgin. The other neighbour has no main road access and cant access virgin (unless virgin invest in running fibre into the housing estate itself, not likely for now)

so, if your property has direct acces to wherever your neighbours cable goes to, you can get virgin. It must be direct access, not through someone elses property..

assuming you do, then virgin ought to be ok.....i say ought as their systems may not recognise you have access. I had to convince virgin i had main road access when i originally moved from bt....Good luck talking with them 🙂

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi there @Thora 

Welcome to our wonderful forums. 

What @th3rdroc has said is spot on, in addition to this there could be a few other factors that could stop this but at the moment there is no point dwelling on those, What I am going to do is drop you a PM for some of your details so that I personally can take a closer look into this. 

Kind regards 

Zak_M 

Hi Zak,

In a similar situation here. We live in a victorian terrace, and both the flat immediately below us and next to us can both get virgin fibre, but apparently we can't. Our front door is a matter of centimetres away from our neighbour so this seems particularly weird. Understand there might be restrictions on the engineers checking at the moment, but any chance you could take a look? Can PM you a streetview of our doors so you can see. With a few more of us working from home on terrible internet we're desperate to get it sorted if at all possible!

Cheers,

Sam

Edward_W1
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi there, 

If your neighbors have got it directly below then I see no reason why you wouldn't be able to get it yourself! 

I'll drop you a message for some details and take a look! 

Thanks

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

HowardML
Superuser Emeritus
Superuser Emeritus
And people consistently overlook the obvious explanation that the reason why you can't get services when neighbours can is that VM will not install if the area is up to capacity. That means no more room in the street boxes for more connections. Don't be surprised if this is what you get back from these enquiries.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Alistair_H
Joining in

Hi there,

We are in a similar position, our neighbour's house was the show home for a Taylor Wimpey development and ours sits on the footings of what would have been the visitors' car park; however neither of us can get virgin but the rest of our development can. What is even more frustrating is that we can see the green and grey cabinets (side by side) from our house :(.

Is there any help that could be offered? I appreciate things are more difficult in these times so any help would be gratefully received 🙂

Hi Alistair_H,

Welcome to the community! It's great to hear that you're interested in getting our services; we'd love to have you with us.

I'll be happy to pop you over a PM so I can look into this further for you. Please find my message over at the purple envelope.

See you there,

Beth

Beth

Ocm
Joining in

Hello there,

We are having a similar issue like other users:

We are living in a two flat building, (second floor) when we check the availability  it says that the services can't be delivered ( "currently  not available in your area" to be specific) but if we check the flat below it says that it is available, alsofalso the buildings beside us.

If we could get some information we will appreciate it.

Thanks a lot

Tom_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Ocm, thanks for getting in touch.

Accessing flats above ground level can cause problems for a few different reasons so it may not be something we can assist with, but I'd like to take a look and see if we can get any clarification on this for you so please look out for my PM (the purple envelope) and get back to me when you can.

Tom