cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PSTN fault results in migration to VoIP

mmelbourne
On our wavelength

My parents raised a PSTN fault on their line a few days ago (both are in their 80s and I would class as 'vulnerable'). Their DECT phone displayed a "line fault" and the number ringing engaged.

Today, the engineer arrived and have converted them (without any discussion) to VoIP. I thought the government had paused activity for migrations for all Communications Providers (CPs). Is it still VM policy to migrate the elderly to VoIP?

It feels like they have migrated them, rather than attempt to fix the original fault, as it was probably the easiest option for them.

This probably needs to happen anyway, but they had had their answerphone, which is their main DECT base station moved upstairs to where the Hub is located and not where they spend most of their time, so they are now unaware of answerphone messages unless they actively check the base unit upstrairs.

There are solutions to these issues, but they need more planning and discussion.

They've also been left, they say, with a 'monstrosity' of a large phone, which I presume (I haven't seen it yet), which is some backup solution (which may contain batteries). Has anyone else seen similar?

This feels like a fix which has been imposed on my elderly parents. The move to VoIP is something which needs to happen, but this is not the way to go about it.

Can someone from VM please contact (DM) me to discuss.

12 REPLIES 12

mmelbourne
On our wavelength

FYI, I moved the Hub this weekend (the old coax outlet was still active) and the DECT base station (with the answerphone) at the same time, so everything is back as it was. Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions. I guess there are some installations where this is easier (indeed it is trivial for my own installation), but this was just one of those awkward corner-cases involving equipment locations and user expectations!

Special thanks to @Lee_R for the ongoing support.

Hi @mmelbourne 

Great to hear that you've been able to make the set up more suitable for your parents. Should you need any further assistance or have any other queries, we'll be here to support further.

Hope you have a lovely rest of you day 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

Hi @mmelbourne thanks for getting back to me privately.  
This is just a quick note to confirm you're satisfied with the response and efforts of the forum team?  Remember, if you ever need assistance in the future, our fantastic community and forum team are always willing to lend a hand. Please bear in mind, you can manage your account from here. Your online account, will give you access to your bills, show your package details, diagnose any possible faults and monitor any orders and appointments you may have. 
Regards
Lee_R