cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missold into having a phone

Leesylou80
On our wavelength

I recently rang to cancel everything except broadband. I've been Virgin for 25 years and their services cost a fortune! However, I was told that if I cancelled the TV and phone, it would make my broadband more expensive as I'm getting discounts from a bundle. I went round and round for over an hour but she was adamant, BB would cost more without the phone and cable.

I then asked why they were charging line rental and call plans if the phone was plugged into the hub, as it essentially is now a VOIP phone. She said that wasn't the case and everyone will have to carry on paying line rental and phone package fees when the entire copper wire network is turned off. I kept saying that I didn't understand it becaise if I'm using the internet to make a call (I can promise you I am because since this started, the quality is AWFUL) then it's not using their line, so why should I pay? "This is just how it is" was the reply. Another hour later and a hesitantly agreed to keep paying for phone, BB and TV.

Today, i've read from Virgins own help pages that when you are switched over to the VOIP service, you won't pay line rental etc... So why am I paying them?! I have looked into it and I could get a VOIP number that costs me £12 a year for the number to have and £2.50 a month for the calls I would make. Rather than being charged £67.50 for TV, BB and a VOIP PHONE from Virgin, I would've just demanded what I said I wanted in the first place, but I was really pushed into a corner and after 2 hours arguing, I was exhausted (I've had 2 strokes and am on immunotherapy so I get very tired, and I have angina so this conversation wasn't helping me one bit!!!!).

I feel like they have misold me this contract and I made it clear what I wanted at the time, but I don't know what I can do as I'm over the 14 day cool off period and my contract doesn't end until May 2025. Can anyone offer any advice? Am I right in my thought about it being a VOIP line so why charge line rental, expecially when their help say it wouldn't be charged? I'm so annoyed!! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Leesylou80 wrote:

I then asked why they were charging line rental and call plans if the phone was plugged into the hub, as it essentially is now a VOIP phone. She said that wasn't the case and everyone will have to carry on paying line rental and phone package fees when the entire copper wire network is turned off. I kept saying that I didn't understand it becaise if I'm using the internet to make a call (I can promise you I am because since this started, the quality is AWFUL) then it's not using their line, so why should I pay? "This is just how it is" was the reply. Another hour later and a hesitantly agreed to keep paying for phone, BB and TV.

Today, i've read from Virgins own help pages that when you are switched over to the VOIP service, you won't pay line rental etc... So why am I paying them?! I have looked into it and I could get a VOIP number that costs me £12 a year for the number to have and £2.50 a month for the calls I would make.

All that changes with the 21CV upgrade is the copper pair between your house & the street fibre node (where the calls have ALWAYS been transmitted back to the exchange digitally via fibre) is now combined with your Broadband (but NOT internet) connection back to the local cable headend. The expensive, power hungry switched exchange at the headend is still handling your calls, hence you are still paying for the cost of it's use.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

Sabrina_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Leesylou80 👋.

Thanks for reaching out to us, apologies for the experience that you have had, I assure you, this is not the type of service we aim to provide. So that we can look into this further and get you some clarity on the issues that you have raised we would need to bring you for a private message. Please look out for the envelope on the top right of your web browser or if you are using a mobile device, it will be located under your profile icon.

Thanks.

Sabrina

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

One point to note, the VM telephone service after switchover is NOT VOIP, it just another way of presenting an analog voice signal to your own handset. That’s not to say VM will not be going to a proper voip service in the future, but don’t hold your breath. When you pay for a landline telephone service it’s not just the ‘line’ you are paying for it’s the phone number and all associated equipment on VM premises. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Leesylou80 wrote:

Today, i've read from Virgins own help pages that when you are switched over to the VOIP service, you won't pay line rental etc... So why am I paying them?! I have looked into it and I could get a VOIP number that costs me £12 a year for the number to have and £2.50 a month for the calls I would make.

All that changes with the 21CV upgrade is the copper pair between your house & the street fibre node (where the calls have ALWAYS been transmitted back to the exchange digitally via fibre) is now combined with your Broadband (but NOT internet) connection back to the local cable headend. The expensive, power hungry switched exchange at the headend is still handling your calls, hence you are still paying for the cost of it's use.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

Where does VM say that line rental won't be charged for VoIP? You will always be charged because it is a cost and you have to pay.

The withdrawal of PSTN is planned for end of 2025, by which time VM will be providing a fully digital service. I expect that line rentals will drop as the competition will lower prices as VoIP kit costs a heck of a lot less than PSTN kit - and less of it is needed as well.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection