cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Landline number "mistakenly" cancelled by virgin. I need it back!

Mwnisar
Tuning in

Well this has turned into an absolute mess by virgin media and has put my well built up business of over 10 years at risk.

My landline and broadband was with vodafone. I took out a contract with virgin media on the 2nd of January 2024 and requested them to bring over my landline from vodafone as well as i use that number for my business since the last 7 years. Virgin said that is fine. I was given an installation date of 12th January.

On the 12th of January, i received the broadband hub. I connected it all up and checked the landline and it was a new number. I rung Virgin media and they said this is a temporary number and they will request the port from vodafone, which would be completed on the 22nd of January.

On the 22nd of January, i checked my virgin landline in the morning around 09.30 to see if the number had been ported. I did this by using my virgin landline and calling my mobile. The number was ported as i got the call from the number bought over from Vodafone.

Then things went wrong. A few hours later, when i again checked the line, the temporary number was back on. I tried to ring the number ported from vodafone and it came up as number invalid.

I rung virgin media that same day and was told for some reason the order was completed but then got cancelled and the temporary number back on. I have been calling virgin media and they were first saying 24 hours and now 8-10 days. They have also said there is a chance i could lose the number. I cannot afford this as this is my livelihood. Its my bread and butter, a business ive built up over 6/7 years.

I was today told that the number has gone back to BT as they are the owners of the number.

I called BT today and asked them. They said when a number gets cancelled, it goes into a quarantine for 30 days, meaning that it randomly does not get given out until requested and any of the providers can request the number for me without a problem.

I would really really really appreciate if anyone from virgin media can help me

The last 2 nights have been mostly sleepless for me and it is really taking a toll on my mental health as this is my livelihood built over 7 years.

I would really appreciate any help.

Regards

Mr Nisar

2 REPLIES 2

Ashleigh_C
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi there @Mwnisar 

Thank you so much for your post and we are so sorry that this has happened! 

I would be more than happy to take a closer look into this with you via a private message. I will pop you a PM across now, please keep an eye out for the envelope at the top of your screen alerting you to a new message.

Mwnisar
Tuning in

A bit of an update. I have sent the formal complaint.

Today morning (25/1/24), i called virgin media again. I was told on the notes it says the number should be ported and completed by 8am today. They told me to give it 24 hours. I got home around 9.30am and checked and the number had been ported. All good and i was relieved.

But then today around 5.30pm the number for some reason got cancelled by virgin again and i was given the same temporary number back. 

Absolute shambles from Virgin. I have no idea what they are doing and also seems like the porting team havent a clue either!

I have rung them again and now they are again saying it would be sorted out in 24 hours.