cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre adapter not long enough, can I order a phone extension cable?

rkbluemarlin
Settling in

My home phone switched to fibre last month. We don't really use it so I haven't got round to plugging in the adapter until now. However the cable is way too short to reach the router. I can't move the router as it needs to be next to the PC. I can't move the phone as it's next to the only convenient power socket. As far as I can see I just need an extension cable, hardly worthy of an engineer's time, but I don't see why I should have to buy one. Can Virgin just send me one?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Very likely a case of 'effort-versus-reward'. I think in some recent topics VM has sent out a phone extension cable upon request.

How much effort it takes to actually get the thing from VM and whether it is the correct thing that actually turns up, only time might tell.

A 5m cable is about £3-ish either online (such as eBay) or locally (Screwfix, Toolstation etc.)

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

Ashleigh_C
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi there @rkbluemarlin 

Thank you so much for your post and welcome to the community forums, it's great to have you here. 

I am so sorry that you have faced this issue and thank you again for posting. We are not able to send out an extra cable unfortunately but I would be more than happy to pop you a private message so we can arrange for an engineer to come and take a look at moving the phone/hub. 

If you would like me to do this just let me know and I'll pop a PM across. 

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Very likely a case of 'effort-versus-reward'. I think in some recent topics VM has sent out a phone extension cable upon request.

How much effort it takes to actually get the thing from VM and whether it is the correct thing that actually turns up, only time might tell.

A 5m cable is about £3-ish either online (such as eBay) or locally (Screwfix, Toolstation etc.)

You're right of course, but it's the principle. Virgin have caused a problem that I didn't have before, and I can no longer use a service that I'm paying for. I might just cancel the phone!

Ironically, that might cost you significantly more than the phone lead as VM's bundle-pricing means removing the phone service might actually put your package price up!

Thanks Ashleigh but I've already said I can't move the phone or the hub. Sending out an engineer is going to cost far more than posting out a cable, and seems an over-complicated response to a simple problem. You're already asking people to plug the adapter into the Hub, and adding an extra cable is no more difficult than that. 

Hi rkbluemarlin

Thanks for your reply. That's no problem at all and I'm sorry to hear this has caused some issues in set up. Sadly, we don't supply extension cabling so I'm afraid that it's not something we can send out to you.

We can only apologise

Beth