cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xbox connection dropping on Hub 4

JamesCX
Just joined

Hi, I have an annoying problem with my Xbox on a Hub 4. I’ve been a Virgin customer since 2014 and have been using the original Superhub with no problems since day one, literally never stopped working until last week.

We use an Xbox One S mainly for Netflix, iPlayer etc and the kids play a few games. Last week it wouldn’t connect to the internet (plugged in via Ethernet) and my wife’s windows laptop wouldn’t connect via Wi-Fi. Other devices like my iPad and phone still connected OK. I called Virgin and they said it was a dodgy router and sent a new Hub 4, which I installed.

This seemed to fix the laptop problem and the Xbox will now occasionally connect but usually only for a session, then the next time it’s turned on it won’t connect again. Rebooting the router seems to help but I can’t be doing this every time!

I’ve tried disconnecting the Ethernet cable and going through Wi-Fi but it makes no difference. On the router setup, I’ve only made minor changes which are splitting the 2.4 and 5g signals and setting the 2.4 to channel 1 rather than auto. This was to allow  my ring doorbell to connect (it doesn’t like 5g or channels above 10). But I don’t think this would cause a problem for the Xbox?

sorry for the essay, any help appreciated!

7 REPLIES 7

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

So your super hub was better...

newer hub works best in modem mode and then get your own router with 1Gb ports

---------------------------------------------------------------

Sigma
Fibre optic

I've been having a similar issue, only with Xbox.

Sometimes I randomly get disconnected from the Xbox network. Sometimes I randomly get disconnected from a particular game's server, but I remain connected to the Xbox network. Sometimes in-game features like online leaderboards just won't load. Sometimes downloads will stop or go super slow.

I usually use my Xbox Series X wired, but I've tried it over Wi-Fi too and I get the same issues. Rebooting the router sometimes helps, but not for long.

This started happening a couple of days ago. Before then, everything was fine.

I'm in area 31, Stafford.

Alex_RM
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi JamesCX,

Thanks for posting and sorry to hear you're having some issues connecting to the Xbox. I've had a look at things from our side and everything looks to be within the specifications we would expect.

Can you confirm if you've tried a pin-hole reset of the hub?

Alex_Rm

johnny64
On our wavelength

Hi James,well at least they changed your router hub.

After suffering 10 months of intermittent daily disconnections guy tech said could find no fault router even though router is very hot,red light on,VM connect app on mobile using my data phone says no hub detected..no internet...hope you get resolve m8 i haven't got nowhere 30mins call guy who just would not accept router could be causing problems,guy from sky locally said VM routers were crap always failing his experience.

johnny64
On our wavelength

Hi Alex this is what I was told by VM tech guy said everything looks to be within specs and no faults found,well something isn't right if I get internet disconnections Daily between 30secs to 5 mins for over 10 months!

johnny64
On our wavelength

Alex see my post thanks.

Hi @johnny64 

Welcome back to the community forums. 

Sorry to hear you're also having issues with your router. 

As you have mentioned the hub is hot we will need an engineer to investigate this further. 

Please join me on private message so I can locate your account and pass account security. You can see your private messages at the top of the page, in the envelope icon or if you're using a smaller device, you can see your private messages by clicking on the Virgin Media logo at the top right and select 'Messages' from the drop down. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley