cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xbox cannot connect to game servers, Telford area?

macmanyoung
Tuning in

Hi
Since our post code area in Telford suffered a loss of internet the other day, my Xbox cannot connect to the game servers or xbox store etc. it says I am connected online OK, but when I start a game it tells me it cannot connect to servers? Even if I play offline it has to connect first so its making my Xbox experience pretty rubbish right now. I have rebooted the xbox and router, but no joy. All xbox servers are running OK too so the issue is deffo the VM wifi.

anyone else suffering this? I live in the TF3 area, and like I say, all was working fine up until Virgin Broadband and TV went down for 12 hours the other day. The problem with Xbox connection issues starting as soon as the broadband worked again.

5 REPLIES 5

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Check the Hubs admin console and make sure the XBox hasn't been paused on the MAC filtering.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Client62
Legend

Try the XBOX with manual DNS settings 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4  ( i.e. Google Public DNS )

This is to bypass VM's "Child Safe" a DNS content filter that has a nasty habit of re-enabling without warning. 

macmanyoung
Tuning in

Thanks both, turns out the issue was the fact i have a wifi booster plugged in upstairs. For some reason if I connect my xbox wifi to the booster instead then it connects fine. Even though the booster is just boosting the main Virgin wifi which I cant connect too?!

Client62
Legend

Login to the VM Hub admin menu and check for Wi-Fi Pausing then then also check for MAC Filtering.

*** Do not perform this check via the unreliable VM Connect app ***

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Is the "booster" a 3rd party powerline one, or is it one of the VM Pods? 

As an aside, the Pods don't boost the signal, they just extend it.  They also slow down the Wifi speed on each extension hop.  Just a bit of trivial information btw.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks