cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The entered credential or authentication information does not work or are no longer accepted by provider.

Pugs1
Tuning in

Hello,

My Win 10 no longer supports and deleted my email client, so I've downloaded the Thunderbird email client.

Thunderbird automatically detected my primary email, so no problem there, but it cannot log into my secondary email.

When I log into my Virgin media account "https://mail.virginmedia.com/" and click on "Accounts" it shows both my email accounts, but the secondary email states "The entered credential or authentication information does not work or are no longer accepted by provider."

I have tried to "Edit" the information in that email account, but it just keeps continuing to display the same info, and when I try to set it up in Thunderbird it states "Unable to log in at server. Probably wrong configuration, username, or password".

Both email have been working with no issues up until this morning.

Can anyone please help with this? Many thanks in anticipation and for taking the time to read.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Yes the password for a secondary email address will always be different from the primary email unless you chose to use the same password for both.

Each email address now has its own My VM account

Secondary accounts changes now have to be made via the My Virgin Media account for the secondary email.

Sign into the account here: https://www.virginmedia.com/my-virgin-media using the email address concerned and the current password. Once logged in click on Account Settings then Account details. You should now see the options to change password etc.

If that isn't available try https://www.virginmedia.com/my-virgin-media/forgotten-details/password

If no security answers have been set for the email address concerned then you will need to call in for support and select technical issues> email

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Pugs1 Setting up the secondary account in Thunderbird has likely triggered the new requirement from Virgin Media to create and use a generated app password for use with email clients such as Thunderbird.  Also when adding a secondary account to the primary VM webmail interface this also acts as an email client for the secondary account and so will need the app password.

There are some help pages which take you through the steps required to make the necessary changes:

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/broadband/manage-email-account

https://www.virginmedia.com/dpb/help/change-my-virgin-media-email-address

VM have recently changed the log in requirements for accessing VM Mail via third party apps.
Email client access now requires an app specific password which can be generated in the MyVM > Account Settings > Account details > Mailbox App password management

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs

Thanks Graham.

I generated a new "App password" but to no avail. The new password will not even "acknowledge"  in "myvm" "accounts". It states "invalid credentials" then the password either disappears or reverts back to my original password.

Is there a customer help line number for email issues? Cheers.

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Pugs1 The App password is only for use with email clients and apps.  The My Virgin Media account email remains the original password.

The VM Forum Team are the best option for support on issues such as this.  They will pick up this thread in due course.

Cheers Graham.

Yes, I did originally leave my VM password in the VM mail settings, but I'm just trying anything now.

I cannot even log into my secondary email on VM Webmail. It just keeps saying my password is incorrect. Yet my primary email/password works fine on VM Webmail. Is it possible to have two different passwords for primary and secondary emails? 

And if so, how would I recover the secondary email password?

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Yes the password for a secondary email address will always be different from the primary email unless you chose to use the same password for both.

Each email address now has its own My VM account

Secondary accounts changes now have to be made via the My Virgin Media account for the secondary email.

Sign into the account here: https://www.virginmedia.com/my-virgin-media using the email address concerned and the current password. Once logged in click on Account Settings then Account details. You should now see the options to change password etc.

If that isn't available try https://www.virginmedia.com/my-virgin-media/forgotten-details/password

If no security answers have been set for the email address concerned then you will need to call in for support and select technical issues> email

Many thanks Graham.

Annoyingly a pop up is saying I cannot change my password without contacting C/S, but C/S is now shut.

I have managed to reinstate my old version of Outlook, so both my emails are currently up and running again, but as Microsoft are no longer supporting that version, it could disappear again anytime.

Its been ages since I first set up my "blueyonder" emails/password, probably 20 years, but I only ever recall having the one password, which I have updated a few times over the years. So the only thing I can think of is, I've updated the primary email account/password, without/not realising, the secondary email account has remained unchanged. And somehow my email client (Outlook) has stored both the old and new passwords for the respective accounts.

It does seem the only logical reason that I can login to my primary VM email Webmail, no problem. But cannot login to my secondary email (via VM Webmail)

If it turns out to be something totally different I will let you know.

Thanks for all your help Graham.

Ken.

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Now that you have mentioned blueyonder that opens up another avenue of possibilities.  In the Telewest/blueyonder days it was possible to create alias addresses as well as secondary addresses.  An alias account would always have the same password and use the same mailbox as the parent email address.  It isn't possible to access an alias email address via VM webmail.