cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Secondary ntlworld.com account

Woodland2
Tuning in

I have a secondary @ntlworld.com account which I use every day. My primary account email is rarely used.

I recently set up third party email addresses for both primary and secondary accounts as advised on a call to VM. As part of this call VM gave me new passwords for both accounts. These worked, but as they were a bit generic and done over the phone, I thought it best to change these. This worked for the primary account (which I don't use for email) but hasn't worked for the secondary account. I thought having a third part email account would allow for password re-set or forgotten password on the secondary account. Is this wrong? 

How do I regain access to the secondary account using the third part email account associated with it? Maybe because I do not have any security questions set up on secondary account? Maybe because my phone is still able to access the secondary account (which is a lifeline but maybe needs signing out?)

2 phone calls to VM last week, each of 1.5 hours, can this be solved here? I hope so, no time this week to be on the phone again.

I would appreciate any help with this as I need stable access to the secondary email account.

Many thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Woodland2 wrote:

Thanks Matt, When logged into primary account and in the section headed 'Manage other My Virgin Media accounts'  the only option next to the additional accounts is 'Delete'. Primary account doesn't seem to have much control over additional accounts. Any ideas? Thanks.

That is correct the only action relating to secondary accounts that can be done via the primary account are to delete them.  VM made this change some months ago.

Each email address now has its own My VM account

Secondary accounts changes now have to be made via the My Virgin Media account for the secondary email.

Sign into the account here: https://www.virginmedia.com/my-virgin-media using the email address concerned and the current password. Once logged in click on Account Settings then Account details. You should now see the options to change password etc.

If that isn't available try https://www.virginmedia.com/my-virgin-media/forgotten-details/password

If no security answers have been set for the email address concerned then you will need to call in for support and select technical issues> email

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

11 REPLIES 11

Matthew_ML
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey Woodland2, thank you for reaching out and a warm welcome to the community I am so sorry to hear about this.

I would go down the forgot password route, or even better with the one logged on you should be able to change it from here.

The primary will always be able to control the secondary email. Cheers 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

Woodland2
Tuning in

Thanks Matt, When logged into primary account and in the section headed 'Manage other My Virgin Media accounts'  the only option next to the additional accounts is 'Delete'. Primary account doesn't seem to have much control over additional accounts. Any ideas? Thanks.

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Woodland2 wrote:

That is correct the only action relating to secondary accounts that can be done via the primary account are to delete them.  VM made this change some months ago.

Each email address now has its own My VM account

Secondary accounts changes now have to be made via the My Virgin Media account for the secondary email.

Sign into the account here: https://www.virginmedia.com/my-virgin-media using the email address concerned and the current password. Once logged in click on Account Settings then Account details. You should now see the options to change password etc.

If that isn't available try https://www.virginmedia.com/my-virgin-media/forgotten-details/password

If no security answers have been set for the email address concerned then you will need to call in for support and select technical issues> email

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs

Thank you, I can confirm that no security answers have been set for the secondary account despite it recently having 3rd party email account linked. When I try forgot password a re-set link appears in my 3rd party email account but is expired when I click on it (it takes over a minute to arrive).

Please confirm - I need to make a phone call to VM to get new password for secondary account access? Presume this will be 1 to 2 hours on phone? Oh boy. Is there no way this can be done online? 

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Woodland2 A member of the VM Forum Team staff should be able to help you with this when they reach this thread later today.

Thank you for reaching back out.

When signed into the account here: using the email address concerned and the current password. Once logged in click on Account Settings then Account details. You should now see the options to change password etc.

Did it give you an error of any type or did it just say no security for it to be changed? Cheers 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Matthew_ML the issue with the secondary account that @Woodland2 is reporting is that the verification code for the password change is not coming through correctly to the third party username address.  This is something that the user can correct without intervention from the email support guys.

I enter the 3rd party email address (a gmail account) but the password is incorrect. Forgot password sequence then doesn't work as described in earlier message.

Forgot password sends a link to the correct third party email account, but the link has always expired. Is this because it knows I don't have security questions set up on this account? Do I have to ring VM to sort this?