cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old virgin media.com address hacked. No longer a customer

Mtd
Joining in

Hi, I have an old virgin media.com email address. Unfortunately this address has been hacked and it is being used by persons unknown. The hackers are using my email to raise fake accounts and accessing my old accounts that I forgot used this address.
I can’t log into virgin media.com to change the password as I am no longer a customer.  I have tried to contact virginmedia and they advise this address was deactivated a long time agobut I am still receiving emails and apparently sending mails via this address. 
How do I stop or delete this address?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

FlockWallpaper
Dialled in

You, personally can’t, however in a day or so a member of the forum team will get to this thread and offer to contact you by direct message to obtain some further details and then submit a deletion request to the VM email support people.

In theory all email addresses should be deactivated and deleted some 90 days after you stop being a VM broadband customer. Alas this doesn’t always happen and the old addresses lingers on indefinitely.

The best advice I can give to anyone else who is leaving VM is to assume that after a few months of you leaving, assume that either the email address and mailbox will be deleted, or, worse, you will lose control of it. So please do make sure that this address is no longer associated with any third-party organisations. In this way, if it were to become compromised and taken over by someone else, they won’t have access to any other accounts with other companies, and if they do use it to sign up for services, that’s not really your problem any more.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

FlockWallpaper
Dialled in

You, personally can’t, however in a day or so a member of the forum team will get to this thread and offer to contact you by direct message to obtain some further details and then submit a deletion request to the VM email support people.

In theory all email addresses should be deactivated and deleted some 90 days after you stop being a VM broadband customer. Alas this doesn’t always happen and the old addresses lingers on indefinitely.

The best advice I can give to anyone else who is leaving VM is to assume that after a few months of you leaving, assume that either the email address and mailbox will be deleted, or, worse, you will lose control of it. So please do make sure that this address is no longer associated with any third-party organisations. In this way, if it were to become compromised and taken over by someone else, they won’t have access to any other accounts with other companies, and if they do use it to sign up for services, that’s not really your problem any more.

Appreciate your response. 

Hey Mtd, thank you for reaching out and I am sorry to hear this, also a warm welcome to the community.

I am going to send you a DM now to take a look into this. 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?