cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing booking emails

GTA18
Joining in

Have noticed that on at least three occasion from separate companies that booking confirmation emails are not coming into inbox or spam boxes. Have checked spam setting and all okay! A couple of the companies we spoke to on the phone said this seemed to be a problem with blueyonder emails. How do we fix it so we get these emails through? Thanks for any help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@GTA18 wrote:

Interestingly from the same companies their marketing emails and newsletters are arriving no problem,

Your experience is quite a common one and many VM email users have posted along the same lines over recent years.

Just to explain, most large organisations use third party software to automatically handle so called "transactional" emails such as confirmation emails. So although these confirmation emails use the same domain names as the marketing and customer support emails from that organisation they are likely to be sent using a different email delivery service.

The situation is that VM does seem to apply quite stringent checks on incoming email to ensure that incoming email has not been spoofed (had the sending email address faked) and in some cases the settings of these third party software email products seem to fail VM's checks. That results in VM blocking these incoming email even though they are genuine.

As you mention in your post, if VM do send non delivery error messages back to the sending organisation these are unlikely to get back to the first line customer support staff.

As I said earlier, this situation has been going on for a few years, it's not something new.

To be honest, the safest way to ensure that you receive important confirmation emails is to use an email account from one of the major email providers - see here for some ideas https://www.lifewire.com/best-free-email-accounts . I don't like saying it but basically all of those will be offer a more reliable email service than VM.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @GTA18 

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community.

Sorry to hear of the receiving email issue. If the SPAM settings are fine and also the emails are not even going into that folder, then can you check with the companies that are sending these emails please, if they are getting any bounce back message? Also, are the emails you are not receiving, do they have any attachments? 

Best wishes.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Thanks for the reply John. These are big companies such as Loganair. When I spoke to them they were not surprised and said this was happening to others. No bounce backs have been mentioned but the people I have spoken to would not necessarily know. These are booking confirmation emails, no attachments, just confirmation in the body of the email itself. They have resent to my work email and that works fine. Clearly we know we have not received these, but we also don’t know what else is not getting through. Interestingly from the same companies their marketing emails and newsletters are arriving no problem, it is just the confirmation emails as far as we can tell. Thanks again for any advice

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@GTA18 wrote:

Interestingly from the same companies their marketing emails and newsletters are arriving no problem,

Your experience is quite a common one and many VM email users have posted along the same lines over recent years.

Just to explain, most large organisations use third party software to automatically handle so called "transactional" emails such as confirmation emails. So although these confirmation emails use the same domain names as the marketing and customer support emails from that organisation they are likely to be sent using a different email delivery service.

The situation is that VM does seem to apply quite stringent checks on incoming email to ensure that incoming email has not been spoofed (had the sending email address faked) and in some cases the settings of these third party software email products seem to fail VM's checks. That results in VM blocking these incoming email even though they are genuine.

As you mention in your post, if VM do send non delivery error messages back to the sending organisation these are unlikely to get back to the first line customer support staff.

As I said earlier, this situation has been going on for a few years, it's not something new.

To be honest, the safest way to ensure that you receive important confirmation emails is to use an email account from one of the major email providers - see here for some ideas https://www.lifewire.com/best-free-email-accounts . I don't like saying it but basically all of those will be offer a more reliable email service than VM.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Thank you for updating us @GTA18 and thank you to coenoby for their help and advise so far. 

I am going to pop you a private message so we can take a closer look into this together. I will pop you a PM across now, please keep an eye out for the envelope at the top of your screen alerting you to a new message.

Many thanks, appreciate you taking the time to reply. Hope your weekend going well!

Hi @GTA18 

I can see that Ashleigh did indeed reach out to you privately.  I hope you do get all your email issues resolved.

Regards

Lee_R

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@GTA18 @Lee_R 

I tested this again earlier today and VM forum verification emails still do not arrive in my Yahoo account.

Coenonby

Many thanks!