cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost access to NTLWorld email account

GS1987
Joining in

Hi,

Hopefully someone can help. My primary email for about 20 years has been an @ntlworld one, however a few days ago I started getting an error message when trying to access.

I've tried Outlook on my Laptop, the Mail app on my iPhone and by logging into the website (https://mail.virginmedia.com/) and I get an error on all 3. I've also tried the reset password and that doesn't work either.

I am currently a Virgin customer but this ntlworld email account isn't linked to my current account. I believe it was linked to an account that belonged to my parents which has long since ceased.

Is there any way of regaining access to this? Even if it's just so I can migrate all my contacts/emails over to a 'newer' email address.

Thanks,

GS

8 REPLIES 8

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@GS1987 wrote:

I believe it was linked to an account that belonged to my parents which has long since ceased.

As you probably realised that is the key. According to Virgin Media's own Terms and Conditions, they should have closed all email accounts linked to your parents' broadband account 90 days after their account was closed.

One of the Forum Team (VM staff) will be in touch with you via this post in the next day or so.

Just to let you know, you have two issues regarding regaining access to the account even on a temporary basis.

1. Because you were not the VM broadband account holder, VM staff would need to liaise with the account holder before they could do anything with this Ntlworld email account. That's a legal requirement not just VM being difficult.
  2. These days there do seem to be technical reasons that limit VM staff when it comes to reactivating accounts that are no longer linked to a broadband account.

So I'm sorry to say that the chances of being able to regain access to your account are not looking good.

One of the Forum Team will be in touch via this thread to discuss this with you.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

GS1987
Joining in

Thanks for the response.

If VM need to liaise with the original account holders that's not a problem.

One other issue I've noticed, when I check the inbox on my iPhone, I can see the last emails I received prior to losing access. Some of these emails were quite strange and follow a similar pattern to some of the other recent posts on this forum: Attempts to access/reset passwords on Uber/Tinder (I don't use either) from users in China/USA/Germany (one of the tinder emails was in Chinese).

I'm hoping this is just a co-incidence and doesn't mean that someone has gained access to my emails.

Thanks.

Hi there @GS1987 

Thank you so much for your post and welcome to the community forums, it's great to have you here. 

I am so sorry that you have faced this issue and thank you so much to coenoby for their input here so far. 

If the old email address is linked to a former account that is now closed then it may have been deleted and we would not be able to reinstate this. 

I would be happy to check this, but I would need to speak to the account holder, if they are able to create a profile and comment here then we can chat to them further via a private message. 

GS1987
Joining in

Hi Ashleigh.

No problem, I'll speak to them tomorrow and ask them to post on here. Hopefully it's not been deleted, like I said - the email was working a few days ago and I assume the original account would've been closed years ago?

Hopefully we can sort!

Thanks

GS

Hi Ashleigh.

I've been asked to post in here regards an email address that was linked to an old account of ours. (as requested above)

Please message for any more information required so this can hopefully be sorted.

Regards,

Hello Sla60

Thanks for posting and sorry to hear of the issues experienced with your NTLWorld email account, we appreciate you raising this via the forums and welcome to the community.

In your post you mention the email is linked to an old account, if you're no longer a Virgin Media customer it may be that the 90 period has expired and the email account has been closed (as per the Terms and Conditions here)

If this is the case and you no longer have active Virgin Media services we aren't able to reinstate the email account. If the change is due to a house move and the original email wasn't transferred over, let us know and we'll be happy to assist as much as we can. 

Rob

GS1987
Joining in

Hi Rob.

I'm not sure if you can see the previous posts but Ashleigh was going to check but needed to speak to the account holder. 'Sla60' is the account holder & you can message him to go through this.

I'm not sure if this account is closed, we still have Virgin services & but I'm not sure if this email is linked to this account or a previous one. Another email account linked to this account still works as far as I'm aware.

Thanks

Thanks 🙂 So we can take a closer look at this, if Sla60 is able to make his own post, we can then look at sending over a private message to get a few more details.

Alex_Rm