cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error Logging in to blueyonder email through outlook for android

DarylJP
Tuning in

I have had a blueyonder email address for about 20 years and i use the outlook app on my samsung android phone but it stopped syncing on the 26/May/24. My emails are still syncing on Outlook for windows and my Samsung email app on android so it looks like the problem is unique to outlook for android although my wifes emails still seem to be working OK at the moment. I removed the account from outlook and then tried to reconnect to it, it just says there is an error logging in and gives up, I have tried several times so i am pretty sure its not me. I am a current virgin media and O2 customer.

8 REPLIES 8

vshah011
Tuning in

I am experiencing the same but on iOS. Error when trying to add blueyonder mail account to the Mail app reads 'The IMAP server "imap.virginmedia.com" is not responding. Check your netwrok connection and that you entered the correct information in the Incoming Mail Server field.". Virgin Media support advise it is not an issue on their side and I would need to pay for a special Virgin Media gadget recue team to investigate.

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@vshah011 Adding a VM/blueyonder email account to an email client or app can trigger the requirement from VM to create and use an app password.

You can read about the process here: https://www.virginmedia.com/help/broadband/manage-email-account

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Alex_RM
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi DarylJP,

Thanks for posting and sorry to hear you've had some issues with your email. There is some help regarding this here

Please let us know if you're still having issues once you've looked at this.

Alex_Rm

Thanks for the reply, problem seems to have gone away, I eventually managed to get outlook logged back in to my email, all though to this day it seems very slow to notice it needs to synchronise again. Also feeling more confident now as I have moved all my old emails over to Microsoft server and will continue to keep them there instead so I will not feel so vulnerable to being locked out of my emails again (The major lock out not just the one I reported here), have also worked out how to create a .pst file of my old emails for outlook, so belt and braces! Will have to decide over time whether to gradually stop using my virgin media email address as its a lot of hassle but just lost a lot of confidence in virgin media!

vshah011
Tuning in

Thanks for the replies. I have re-set the app password to use an Email app but I am still getting the same error 'The IMAP server "imap.virginmedia.com" is not responding. Check your network connection and that you entered the correct information in the Incoming Mail Server field.' After this initial error, when I click "OK" and then "Next", I get prompted 'Cannot Connect Using SSL. Do you want to try setting up the account without SSL?'. Selecting "Yes", I get the initial error message again. Pics attached.IMG_3857.jpgIMG_3858.jpgIMG_3859.jpgIMG_3860.jpg

Sorry to hear the issue persists for you @vshah011  Just to confirm, are you able to access the mailbox with other alternative mail apps? Is this the only device you are having issues with? Can you confirm that the app is up to date as well as the device operating systems?

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Thanks. I have been playing about with setting and I can confirm that I am now able to access the mailbox on my iPhone. The only issue I am experiencing is that I don't see the "Notes" slider against that mail account and, therefore, the Notes app is not showing the corresponding mailbox (and historic notes).

Glad to hear that you've been able to resolve this in the most part @vshah011 

Please let us know if you are having any further issues or have any questions at all. We'll be here to help on the community forums if needed :). 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley