cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blueyonder email address

An-D
Joining in

Hi All,

I'm having a similar issue to others that I've been reading about recently in this forum. 

I have an old blueyonder email address and after reading through posts about the app password a few weeks ago when I got a new phone, I successfully managed (somehow) to generate an app password and log into my phone's mail app. When I've tried logging into webmail though, I get the same message as others so I used what I thought was my third party email address and password, but I get the same email address / password incorrect messages.

I'm afraid to say that at the time I wasn't paying enough attention to things and just skipped through the steps becuase by that point I was pretty frustrated with the whole app password malarkey.

I've tried a number of passwords for my original BY address and also my third party address and I can request a password reset for my third party address too.

My dilemma is that because I'm unsure how everything is linked, I'm reluctant to reset my third party password in case I can't then generate an app password for some reason and then I might not have any way of accessing my email. 

Is there any way just to reset the PW for my blueyonder address so I can access it via webmail while leaving the app password intact?

Thanks 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@An-D When logging into the VM webmail page for the blueyonder email address you need to use the third party email address as the username and the blueyonder account password.  Note that this will be different to your third party email address password, unless you choose to use the same one.

If you do decide to change the blueyonder account password then you will also need to generate a new app password to use with email clients.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@An-D When logging into the VM webmail page for the blueyonder email address you need to use the third party email address as the username and the blueyonder account password.  Note that this will be different to your third party email address password, unless you choose to use the same one.

If you do decide to change the blueyonder account password then you will also need to generate a new app password to use with email clients.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs

Hi Graham,

Thanks for the reply. Do you know if there's any way to definitively confirm what my third party email address tied to my BY address is?

Also, oddly enough, I can still log in to my primary VM account using a BY email address and password without any issues.

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi An-D,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the community.

Many apologies for the issues faced with the email, just to clarify on this is the blueyonder email the primary VM account?

Let us know,

Kain

dcweather
Dialled in

i am equally confused and still am. It is so hard to work out what is going on. I thought I was tech savvy till I started to try and change my BY password. So in my case I could log into My VM via my vm.com email or my blueyonder email.
Then I could read emils via webmail. But there is also a pw, which was the same as my login pw for my email client, Thunderbird. As I believe my BY has been hacked i want to change that and used to be able to from "forgot pw". Now I was told to create a third party email as user. I did that and it was confirmed. But I'm not sure what I am supposed to do with it?

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@dcweather It is all explained here:  https://www.virginmedia.com/dpb/help/change-my-virgin-media-email-address.

In summary each Virgin Media email address (including legacy domains blueyonder, Ntlworld and virgin.net) now potentially has two username/password combinations.

Access to the My Virgin Media account and the VM webmail page need a third party email address as the username with a password set by the account user.

Access to the email account via a third party email app such as Thunderbird or Outlook continues to use the email address as the username but requires an app generated password which can be created via the relevant My Virgin Media account.VM have recently changed the log in requirements for accessing VM Mail via third party apps.

If you change the password for the account in My Virgin Media > Account settings > Account details you will not be able to use the new password to access the account via an email client. Email client access now requires an app specific password which can be generated in the MyVM > Account Settings > Account details > Mailbox App password management

dcweather
Dialled in

Thank you Graham. The next issue is that having given the new third party gmail account the email for verification is too slow to come through. When I verify it says it has expired so do it all again and this time I haven't even got a verification email after two days! I assume, as the first one in fact did, that the verification email goes to the third party gmail account. All very frustrating.

Hey there @dcweather Thanks for the update! 👋🏼

Sometimes the verification goes through but the page says otherwise.
Have you tried to sign in with the third party email address and see if you can get in?

Let us know, and if not - we can go private and do this ourselves.

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

dcweather
Dialled in

As I think my blueyonder email has been hacked in the past I want to make it as secure as possible as it is used quite a lot and difficult to ditch. But despite being with VM from the start I am finding it harder now I am in my 70's to keep up with changes. I have changed the login password to my VM account which I seem to be able to do with different passwords depending on which email account I want to see - one for my vm.com and a different one for @blueyonder. Do I need to also change the pw for the actual blueyonder email? Or is that the same as my login password? I can't use the third party email address to login still because it couldn't be verified. Why do I need that - is it just for added security?

Thanks for reaching out to us @dcweather and welcome back to our Community Forums.

You're welcome to make a change to the blueyonder E-Mail account, but you may need to set up an alternative password if this is used via a third party application.

Due to changes to the business, Virgin Media no longer issues new E-Mail accounts out to customers, and it would therefore be advisable to utilise a third party domain for an E-Mail account to register for a new self-care account or to maintain a current self-care account set up

Thanks

David_Bn