Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3rd party apps and the APP password!

Baffled6
Joining in

I have checked other threads but the answer is not there hence this ine!-

please help-

I have a ntlworld.com email and went to update the password as my emails began to not being able to send or receive them from some people. I then had to verify myself using a third party email (my gmail one) all good. although my login detials for Virgin are now this one and not my ntlworld email address!. Anyway i can live with that. when I check my email via webmail my email address still shows as my NTL world.com one which is great. However when I try and set up a third-party app it won't accept the new generated APP password that I've set up via the website as requested . I'm trying to use Apple mail (and have tried blue mail) and it says on the add account page to put in 1)email address, 2) username and the password (that was generated for me).

Question -is the email address the same as the username so you enter the full email address twice? it's saying that it can't connect to server when I put the new password in and have tried both the NTL world email and  the Gmail one and niether work or can connect.

PLease help im losing the plot - (i have actually set up a new email to use once i get access on my mac to my emails as ntlworld is sooooo old. Its just a ballache to change it over as its been 20 years of using it, but i am definatley changing it soon! thanks for any help anyone can give! 

Neil

2 REPLIES 2

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Baffled6 wrote:

Question -is the email address the same as the username so you enter the full email address twice? it's saying that it can't connect to server when I put the new password in and have tried both the NTL world email and  the Gmail one and niether work or can connect.

Yes they are the same, see Email settings change - Virgin Media Community - 3369438

NB your Gmail email address should only be used with My Virgin Media or Virgin Media Mail (webmail)

If you have access to a desktop or laptop consider trying the following to validate authentication credentials. Open a Command Prompt in Windows or otherwise a Terminal. and enter the following where username:password is replaced with your email address and password, i.e. richard.branson@ntlword.com:rotavator-racecar-tenet-repaper:

curl -v smtps://smtp.virginmedia.com -u username:password

Do not post the resulting output here but instead review it for possible reported causes, i.e. VM error code; choosing to ignore this advice and posting the unredacted or incorrectly redacted output here will likely reveal your email address, password and / or public IP Address.

FYI if there is no issue then you should see the following output from the curl command:

> AUTH PLAIN
< 334
> [Redacted]
< 235 2.7.0 SMTP350 Authentication successful for user [Redacted]
> HELP
< 214-2.0.0 This is cmsmtp ESMTP service help
214-2.0.0 This is cmsmtp ESMTP service help
< 214-2.0.0 To contact postmaster send email to postmaster@virginmedia.com.
214-2.0.0 To contact postmaster send email to postmaster@virginmedia.com.
< 214-2.0.0 For local information send email to Postmaster at your site.
214-2.0.0 For local information send email to Postmaster at your site.
< 214 2.0.0 end of HELP info
214 2.0.0 end of HELP info
* Connection #0 to host smtp.virginmedia.com left intact

Otherwise an unsuccessful result will look similar to the following:

> AUTH PLAIN
< 334
> [Redacted]
< 525 5.7.13 Authentication Denied (VM320)
* Closing connection 0
* TLSv1.2 (OUT), TLS alert, close notify (256):
curl: (67) Login denied

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Select Mark as Helpful Answer or 🖒 Kudos to say thanks

Hi @Baffled6 

Welcome to our community forums and thank you for your first posts.

Sorry to hear you are having issues when trying to access your email on 3rd party app. We can understand the frustration caused. Was the advice given by @用心棒 useful? Do you need any further help?

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs