cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WARNING: Volt - O2 charges for "free" account

MikeCB
Joining in

So, pleasant surprise! (/sarcasm), I just received a outstanding payment demand of £24.98 from O2 for my volt bundle. For a SIM that went straight into the bin when it was received.

I was an Oomph customer and have been migrated to Volt. For some reason O2 decided to start charging me. After an hour on the phone with O2 customer support, apparently this is the new monthly tariff. They could see that there was zero usage since the account was opened at the beginning this month. This was not made clear to me that the migration would start incurring a monthly charge when Virgin migrated me. Where you made aware of this?

Keep an eye on your bills from O2!

22 REPLIES 22

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi MikeCB 👋

Thanks for posting, and welcome to the Community Forums.

I'm sorry to hear about the confusion regarding your migration. If you are/were on a legacy Ultimate Oomph bundle, then your SIM Card would have been previously included in your overall package cost. As we have now merged, but operate under two separate trading names, your billing is now split between Virgin Media and O2 services.

Any amount that is charged by O2 for the SIM Card (excluding usage charges, etc.) is credited directly to your Virgin Media bill to balance out the pricing. There are no additional charges to the amount you pay.

Thanks,

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ

@Reece_MH - thanks for your response, but unfortunately, this information is not correct. I never used the O2 SIM, never even put it in a phone. I started to receive payment demands from O2 following the switch over. 

If, as you state, that the bill is split between the two providers, then it is reasonable to expect that my Virgin Bill would reduce by the £24.98. This did not happen, this was an additional cost.

As you would expect, this took well over 2 hours on the phone to resolve with O2.

MikeCB
Joining in

Update: O2 are still chasing this payment.

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi MikeCB 👋

The information advised is correct, and is the current process we have in place for Virgin Mobile SIMs migrating to O2. Regardless of whether the SIM was placed into a phone, if it was a part of the package you had with us, then this would be automatically migrated over to O2 and the charge should have been reduced.

I'm going to send you a private message to look into the Virgin Media side of the bill and the charges you've incurred since the migration. You'll find it in the top-right, white envelope or by tapping your profile picture and then "Messages".

Thanks, 

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ

RDF
Superfast

Not sure it's any help, but I moved from Oomph to VoLT.
As part of that move I was told O2 would bill for the mobile element £25 (used to be Virgin Mobile £0 per month) and VM would bill for the rest of the services, minus £25.

I agreed on the total price with the agent for the VoLT package.

There was the usual confusion with the first bill, where they refunded the outstanding month ahead Oomph and charged the new VoLT - which turned out negative.

But after that I've been billed VM+O2 at the agreed price.

You should have revieved an email containing "Virgin Media Order Documents" as part of the new deal, mine were a little confusing as the first four pages are all VM services, but page 5 onwards is O2.
I did try contacting VM to question the contract at first, until bored waiting for them to answer the phone I scrolled to the O2 pages and they matched what was agreed.

The email has pre-contract written on it, to allow the cooling off period etc.

Did you get a chance to check the email containing "Virgin Media Order Documents"?

Same thing happened to me, only had a bill for £80. Phoned virgin media and was told it would show as a discount on my virgin media bill. Just received an email from o2 thanking me for my payment. Nothing showing on my media bill. I also cancelled the sim card. So will keep an eye on this, as I will not be paying a penny more for something I didn't ask for. I'm absolutely disgusted by this

The whole merger thing is a disgrace. I'm cancelling my current mobile contract as a result of this.

Hi wendle671

Thank you for your post and welcome back to our community.

I would need to get some further information from you please so we can look into whats happened.

I will send you a private message now. Please look out for the purple envelope in the top right of the page and pop back to me when you can. 

Vikki - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide