cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mega Volt package - Son had O2 sim but has ported number to new provider

robsmith1972
Tuning in

Hi,

I was wondering if you could help me please?

My son activated the sim which came as part of my Mega Volt package. Unfortunately, the data was not enough for him and he kept exceeding the monthly limit. Therefore, he decided to port his number across to a new provider.

As a result, I received a text message as the Virgin Media account holder saying that because the number had been ported to a new provider, I would now lose my Volt benefits. I've tried contacting Virigin Media (via live chat) and O2 (via live chat and phone), but neither seem to be able to help me.

Is there any way I can get a new O2 sim tied to my Mega Volt package (which I'd happily pay the £5 per month for) rather than losing my Volt benefits?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards

Rob

8 REPLIES 8

Martin_N
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi robsmith1972,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the community.

You would need to speak with O2 directly to see if they can generate a new number for you and then we can look to add it in it's place. 

This would need to be done before you lose the Volt benefits though. 

^Martin

Hi Martin,

Many thanks for your response. Would you happen to have a number to call O2 on (preferably a dedicated O2 Volt number) to ask for the new sim please?

I’ve tried calling on their main number and was passed to someone in a call centre who was unable to help as they did not seem to know anything about the Mega Volt package and said as I no longer have an O2 number with them they simply suggested I call Virgin Media instead.

I would be really grateful for any help you could provide me with this as I just seem to be being passed back and forth and am getting nowhere.

Regards

Rob

AFAIK, it's one number for O2. From a landline or non-O2 mobile its 0344 809 0202 or 202 from an O2 mobile.

0344 is standard UK rate and comes out of majority of mobile tariffs where minutes or unlimited minutes are included.

You need to explain clearly that you have an O2 SIM that was ported and you want a replacement one that is of the type supplied with a Virgin Media VOLT package 6GB data. Under the T&C's, it states whether directly or indirectly bought from O2. Now, the cheapest O2 tariffs at uswitch.com used to say VOLT on them as they use the O2 checkout process and you sign in with your O2 account to buy or upgrade a SIM, they have taken that off now, but the O2 T&C's still say it will apply and VM just say any O2 SIM required.

VM state "if you’re an eligible Virgin Media broadband customer, you’ll also either (i) need to become an eligible O2 Pay Monthly customer or (ii) live with at least one registered eligible O2 Pay Monthly customer."

Eligible has always meant a pay monthly SIM that is not for a watch device and for a phone.

O2 VOLT T&C's:

https://www.o2.co.uk/termsandconditions/mobile/supercharged

Hours of Cover:

Monday - Friday8am - 9pm
Saturday8am - 8pm
Sunday

8am - 6pm

Hi @robsmith1972, thank you for your response.

Are you any further forward with this on the back of following the advice provided by @unisoft?

Please pop back to us at your earliest convenience.

Regards,
Daniel

Hi,

Yes, I think so. I called 02 and explained everything you asked me to mention. They did say that the sim offer I had originally of 6GB for £5 per month was no longer available and had gone up to £8. I’ve also noticed in the app, it shows the sim as greyed out.

I am due to receive the sim tomorrow. As soon as it arrives I will call to try and tie it back into my account.

In fact, while I have been typing this message, they’ve sent me a text with the number for the sim on. Do I need to let VM have any other details in order to tie the sim to my Volt account?

Regards

Rob

Hi @robsmith1972 

Thanks for coming back to us.

If your current package starts with a V in front of it, then no changes need to be made so please don't worry :).

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Hi John_GS,

Can I just ask where I would find the V at the start of my current package please? I have the VM mobile app and I’ve looked on there and couldn’t see one. However, where “sim included” was greyed out the other day, that is green again like it was previously.

Regards

Rob

Hi Rob,

So I can get a few more details on this I've popped you over a private message.

Alex_Rm