cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BBC 3 Top Gear - failed recordings/Audio Description On

jg666
On our wavelength

Yes I know I can turn Audio Description off during playback but it’s annoying that it is recording with this defaulting to On. Is there something I can do to stop this?

[MOD EDIT: Subject title changed for clarity]

13 REPLIES 13

jg666
On our wavelength

And now the first episode I recorded tonight (Friday 7pm BBC3) won’t play. I go into the recording as usual and it says it has recorded 1h 3m but it behaves as if it has reached the end of the recording straight away. This is the 2nd time I’ve had this happen on a BBC3 Top Gear recording. 

Hello jg666.

Thank you for your post.

Sorry to hear about Top Gear having Audio Description set as default when you play back a recording.

Also sorry as well to hear the latest recording skips to the end.

Can we please ask if what set top box you have?

Gareth_L

jgnotts
Superfast

I have a V6 box. I am currently doing tests on both of my boxes to see if the same thing happens on both for the same episode. I will report back if it does.

jg666
On our wavelength

It has just done it again. I suspected it was the Friday 7pm episode that kept failing and indeed it is.

I set it to record manually on one box and series link on the other box and they both have the same issue. They report that it has recorded one hour and three minutes and you try to play it and immediately it asks if you want to delete or keep the recording.

jg666
On our wavelength

@gareth_l  is there any way I can change the title to be failed recordings rather than audio description? The issue now is the failed Friday episodes.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The reason for failed recordings on a TiVo/V6 can usually be identified via the recording hiccups folder.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

jg666
On our wavelength

There’s nothing listed there because the system thinks the recordings have succeeded in full. They just won’t play back.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Does the recording show a file size? I'm away from my V6 at present but from memory the "info" button pressed from the play-now screen should let you then scroll down to the file info.

And to avoid doubt, are you definitely selecting "play from beginning"? Are you able to view it via TV Control?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

jg666
On our wavelength

In the info it says less than 1% (2.73GB)

Yes I’m pressing play at the beginning of the recording.

For these Top Gear recordings it says restrictions don’t allow streaming and they can only be played back via the box.

I’ve had another play around with it because you press play and it displays something for a fraction of a second but then gives the delete message. So I pressed play and very quickly pressed pause. It is starting at the very end of the recording for some reason. It must be doing this for this 7pm recording every time. So once I’d paused I was able to rewind it all the way back to the beginning and then play it 🙂

So there’s something wrong with this particular recording every time on both boxes, it’s starting playback right at the end and you have to be exrtemely quick with the pause button to be able to rewind!