cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Volume level keeps flashing up on TV every 20 seconds!

Kjersti66
Joining in

Hei everyone!

Just got my 360 box earlier this week. Never had this problem before I got the 360 box. Every 20 seconds, the volume level flashes up on my TV for a few seconds and then goes away again. I did try to pair up the 360 remote with my Denon soundbar, but this wouldn't make the volume display flash up on my TV, would it? If I switch the 360 box off and watch something on freeview, it doesn't do it... so it must be the 360 box, right?

I can't remove the pairing from my 360 box - I only have an option to change it to something else... so I tried that and it didn't change anything.

It looks like a factory reset on the 360 box doesn't actually remove any of my settings - so I guess it will keep the pairing even after a reset?

It's driving me MAD seeing the volume level continuously flashing up! It doesn't change the volume, it just flashes up the current volume level. 

Does anyone have any ideas I can try?

Thanks!

Kjersti x

13 REPLIES 13

ozsat
Superstar

It doesn't sound like a 360 issue - but press and hold the TV and Rewind button for 10 seconds which will factory reset the 360 remote.

==================================
1.2Gb/100Mb in Oxford (area 31) using SH5

Thanks so much - I will try this later! Kj 🙂

Kjersti66
Joining in

Sadly, that didn't work. So, I did a full factory reset on the 360 box, I reset the 360 remote, I reset my Denon soundbar to factory settings - same thing! This is definitely the 360 box doing this - because if I switch it off, the issue stops. I've also tried pairing the 360 box with a totally different brand of soundbar - same thing. Is there ANY way of resetting the 360's pairing settings? Factory resetting it doesn't delete the pairing. Why call it a factory reset when it isn't? The volume flashing up is actually in 12 second intervals, not 20, as per my original post. It's driving me MAD... I can't watch anything on the cable box with it doing this! If anyone can suggest anything else - I'll try it! Thanks! Kj 🙂

Possibly a HDMI handshaking issue, can you turn off the HDMI control on the TV's HDMI input the 360 is connected to see if it makes any difference. You might need to turn it off completely if you can't select separate inputs, Samsung call it Anynet+, and Sony, Bravia Link, if you need help finding it come back with your TV make and model.

If that fixes the problem you can get a 'CEC Less' adaptor from Amazon  🤞

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

You need to rule out the Denon with a direct connection to the TV.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Kjersti66
Joining in

I think it was something to do with the Denon soundbar. What I did to stop it was remove the HDMI cable from the Denon to the TV and connect an optical cable from the Denon to the 360 box. I can use the 360 box for everything, so I don't need sound from the TV. I can now watch TV without that SUPER ANNOYING thing flashing up! 🙂 Kj x 

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

Did you try another HDMI cable from TV to Denon?

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Hei Roger,

No, I didn't have a spare cable to use. I just removed it completely and I'm using the optical cable I got with the Denon. 

This does now mean that I can't have sound when I play DVDs - as the optical cable goes from my Denon to my 360 box. I think I'll survive! Haha!

Kj x

muswellowl
Joining in

I have exactly the same issue.  360 box was fine with my TCL 50CF630K TV.  I added a Bose Smart Soundbar 600 and now the volume displays every 20 seconds.  It is definitely the 360 box causing it as if I turn it off or disconnect the HDMI cable it stops happening.  Going to try a CEC-less HDMI adapter, but this is absolutely an issue caused by the Virgin Media 360 box.  Have a Fire TV Cube also attached and doesn't happen with that, but the second I connect the 360 box the volume starts displaying every 20 seconds.