cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin Media TV New Customer – Pixelated Picture – Error CS2004 – Coax Signal Quality is Bad/Good

OverAndOut
On our wavelength

I received our new Virgin Media 360 TV Box today. After a bit of head scratching wondering why on earth they've tethered coax cables and ethernet cables in one monstrosity, everything was working and we were quite euphoric for all of 20 minutes. We signed up for 350Mbps fibre and Mixit TV package. Initial web speeds showed 350+mbps. 

Then the problems set in. We noticed that web speeds dropped to 85mbps. Then we noticed that the picture was pixelated across all live TV channels in the guide. Then we started receiving the CS2004 error.

I tried troubleshooting by replacing the ethernet cables from the 360TV box to the hub, but this made no difference. The Diagnostics sub-menu was interesting. It alternated between describing the Signal as 'Good' and 'Bad'. When it was bad, the CS2004 error message appears.

The thing is, even though the internet speed is around 85mbps (below the minimum guaranteed speed of 180mbps), we can stream live content via the Apple TV without interruption. We can also stream live content fine through the embedded apps on our LG TV. So, the issue appears to be live TV on the 360 box. 

Having called Virgin Media CS, and selected Technical Help/Faults, an automated line test was run which concluded that there were intermittent problems on the line and to wait 23 hrs. I have checked the cable terminations and they are firmly attached to the 360 TV box and the junction box into the house.

I notice that pixelation issues have been reported aplenty here before. Sadly, some VM helper usually offers to take the conversation off into a private message exchange and, annoyingly, the solution is never posted for others experiencing the issue. 

Your help is appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5

roy247
Community elder

Hi,

CS2004 errors are usually to do with the live TV that comes down the coax cable and are nothing to do with the ethernet cable cable to the hub. If there is a problem with that the splitter cable then it could be affecting both your live TV and internet connection.

If it's a new install you could phone and ask for a manned installation and the engineer will use separate cables via a splitter. You can either call Virgin on 150 from a Virgin phone, mobile or landline, or 0345 454 1111 from any other phone or wait here for one of the forum team to pick this up which might be 2 to 3 day's.

When phoning choose the option to report a fault, then ignore all the options offered and you should then be placed into a queue to speak to someone.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@OverAndOut wrote:

the picture was pixelated across all live TV channels in the guide.

I notice that pixelation issues have been reported aplenty here before\

Pixellated pictures on live TV are often the sign of a signal fault. If you've rebooted your box once, then there's likely a fault somewhere, so this will need VM to intervene. You're likely to need either an engineer visit or a replacement box, depending on what VM's remote diagnostics turn up.

First check the automated faults line for any existing issues in your area that could be the cause: 0800 5610061. If nothing's reported, assume VM don't know about your fault and ideally you'll need to call them.

150 from a VM phone, 0345 4541111 from any other phone - choose the options for "I have a fault with my TV service". Alternatively you can wait on here for staff to respond, which may take a day or so.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Molly_T
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi OverAndOut 👋 Welcome back to the community forum! Thank you for posting.

Sorry to hear about these issues with your service! (Both broadband and TV.) Sadly if you are having broadband issues this may also be the root cause affecting your TV service. The CS2400 error means TV box can't load the channel you're trying to watch. You can search TV errors and run troubleshooting steps here 👉 https://www.virginmedia.com/help/tv/tv-error-codes/tv-error-code

Having had a little look into things for you it does appear that you are currently using the hub in Modem mode, which can affect our ability to locate if the issues you are experiencing are with your VM hub or with your 3rd party networking equipment. Please disconnect the equipment and return the hub to router mode so we can collect some data to run testing and offer further support! There are also not currently any outages in your area which would be affecting the broadband or TV services. You can check for local outages 👉 https://virg.in/service or by calling 📞 0800 561 0061. 

In terms of the speeds you are reporting, have you been testing via Wi-Fi or wired connection? For most accurate results please test via ethernet cable 👉 samknows.com/realspeed

I will also need to send you a PM to confirm a few account details so we can investigate further and offer support in getting things resolved for you! 

You can find the PM in the top right corner of the page in your Inbox. 📩 We can then return to this public thread with another update when possible. Thank you for your patience in the meantime!

Wishing you all the best. 🌞

Molly

OverAndOut
On our wavelength

Thanks to those who contributed troubleshooting thoughts with the issues mentioned. Below is an update.

Engineer 1 diagnosed too much noise on the line and recommended a new line installation into the property. The line installers (who I gather are a 3rd party operating on behalf of Virgin Media) draped a line over the flower bed and connected it roughly to the external wall. My mother was surprised that they were content to leave the junction box [on the property wall] exposed to the rain, without a lid. "It'll be fine," came the response. The other installer recognised that it was necessary to install a box. The line they installed lacked any slack so this luminous green foam sleeve lies atop the soil/flower bed like a dead anaconda and we can't conceal it in the soil. An extra 2m would've achieved this. As for the service, TV channels remained pixelated and the signal quality still "Bad". 

Engineer 2 connected his diagnostic equipment to the line and after much fiddling with the Virgin TV box and white cable, stood up, pleased that he'd resolved it. This disappeared the instant we flicked through some channels and they were as pixelated as ever. He therefore concluded that the issue must be the green cabinet on the street. He said he would arrange the network team to come out.

(Some days later)

No network team arrived. Instead engineer 3 knocked on the door not having been informed what the issues were. I explained. This engineer was helpful and informative; he showed us from his diagnostic equipment readings that showed red indicators that should be green. This suggested the signal was not balanced. So, he set about resolving that. This included changing the internal VirginMedia box on the wall and changing the cables and adjusting the balance. He did say that the previous engineers should have done that based on the readings. Anyway, after he'd finished, those red indicators (except one) were now green. The remaining red indicator would (he said) mean that someone would have to re-establish our connection in the green cabinet on the street. He arranged for someone from the network to come out and see to that on the same day. They did.

Result: According to the Settings>Diagnostics in the TV menu, the signal is now showing as "Good" and in the first 24 hours, the channels have been stable – no pixelation. So, in earnest, our 14 day cooling off/evaluation period begins now and we wait to see if these changes have the lasting effect we hope. (I'd like this ticket to remain open.) 

Two observations:

(1) Why the first two engineers couldn't do what engineer 3 did suggests inconsistent levels of know-how and experience among Virgin Media's engineering team. It seems luck of the draw if you get someone competent.

(2) Why the line installers couldn't employ a little common sense and allow us a little slack on the line so we could bury the cable is a real shame.

Hi @OverAndOut thanks very much for your reply - we're glad this is finally sorted for you but we're sorry this was after so long.

If you are having any more issues during this time then please don't hesitate to let us know, and we can investigate further for you!
Many thanks

Tom_W