cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Undo delete 360

AnneSmith4
Tuning in

Can deleted programmes be recovered on the 360 box? I can’t find how to & I deleted something by accident 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

No, once they’re deleted, they’re deleted. Isn’t that what you want when you ask for them to be deleted?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

82 REPLIES 82

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

No, once they’re deleted, they’re deleted. Isn’t that what you want when you ask for them to be deleted?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Yes normally but I’m just getting used to it & clicked delete by mistake. It was a useful function on the TiVo box to recover deleted items. ITV hub online it is!

lennyv
Up to speed

The 360 tends to records repeats of programmes as well as the initial broadcast so you might find it re-appears anyway.

The TiVo and V6 allowed you to recover deleted programmes.

All modern equipment such as PCs, mobile phones and cloud storage move deleted items to an area from which they can be recovered or permanently deleted at a later time. Usually it is also possible to have them deleted automatically after a predefined period (e.g. 30 days) or when storage space is running low. This is what we are used to even on the predecessors of the 360.

Not having this facility on the 360 is a very retrograde step. It is far too easy to have the trash can icon selected and press OK unintentionally. For example, when you delete an episode of a programme that you have watched, the cursor moves to the next episode but with the trash can icon still selected. Pressing OK to watch that episode inadvertently deletes it irretrievably.

The fact that the 360 will record repeats is another problem. Compared with the TiVo/V6, there is far less control over what the 360 does and does not record (new/repeats, SD/HD) which results in the storage filling far more quickly and necessitates regular housekeeping to manually delete unwanted content. This can result in accidental deletions.

For software that purports to be mature at build 4.27, the 360 software feels very much 'still in development'. User feedback such as this will help in the long-term but there are serious design flaws with the 360 that need to be addressed as a matter of urgency.

Félim
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, UK

Agreed, some features seem to have taken a back step without any particular better ones to compensate 

She deleted by accident. No need for sarcasm. 

BlueLou
Virgin Media Staff
Virgin Media Staff
Hey Ernie, appreciate you may be trying to defend VM but I dont think it's an unfair question to ask about undelete...it's a helpful feature on TiVo that isn't there on Virgin TV 360 yet.

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@BlueLou 

I don’t disagree but, for every person who wants to undelete, there’s another who gets sick of forever being asked ‘did you really mean that?’

Ernie_C,

You don't need both but it should be the user's choice. A confirmation of deletion is helpful to some but annoying to others. A deleted items folder gives the opportunity to recover something that was accidentally deleted or which you later realise that you need to refer back to.

My e-mail allows me to chose whether or not to confirm deletions and moves deleted items to a folder from which they can be recovered. This is standard practice in the 21st Century. These are the kinds of preferences which should be available on the 360 box and on a per user basis otherwise what use are profiles?

So far I have found very little difference between the default profile and my personal profile apart perhaps from favourite channels. There are a number of other options which should be tailorable on a profile by profile basis and, when time allows, I'll be posting my suggestions in the community forum for others to add to or to discuss.

Félim
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, UK