cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sound cutting out for a second repeatedly

Byfoja03
On our wavelength

I have an issue when watching virgin tv where the sound cuts out for a second, maybe slightly less, but it happens repeatedly at no apparent regular frequency, but enough that it's annoying - any suggestions to resolve this?

Thanks

90 REPLIES 90

I suspect they can not replicate it as either;

1. they are not giving it enough time to occur.  for me it happens probably 2 or 3 times a day, but I do have the effected TV and 365 box on for probably 10 hours a day at the moment.

2. it seems to be in my experience only happening if the 365 box is connected to a high spec TV.

I have 3 x 365 boxes, 1 connected to a pioneer 42" TV which can not run UHD. the issue doesn't happen on this setup.

I also have a HD 32" Samsung nonQLED TV which can't run UHD. again the problem isn't present on this.

the problem only happens on my QE55Q85TATXXU TV.

So I would question if Virgin have the correct test rig.

Also, all 3 of my V6 boxes were upgraded to 365, are they testing upgraded boxes or just new 365 boxes?

is the forum the right way to report this issue, or should we be calling Virgin support ( not that this has helped in the past for previous issues - DHCP issues, WiFi SSID names changes be lost!)

Hi @miles5759, @Byfoja03 and @tez_uk,

I am very sorry to hear that you've been having these issues with your sound dropping intermittently.

Is this issue ongoing today? If so, can you confirm what diagnostics and troubleshooting you've performed thus far (if any) in an effort to remedy this?

Along with this, can you confirm if there's any pattern to the issue? For example, does it happen at the same time each day? Is it when you view a certain channel, or only when you watch On Demand or content via apps? etc.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

miles5759
On our wavelength

hi Zach,

I have documented my setup previously, but to reiterate and expand;

I have 3 V6 boxes which have been updated to 365, one as master and 2 as 'slaves'.

the Master is connected to a Samsung QLED QE55Q85TATXXU.

the 'slaves are connected to a HD capable 43" Pioneer TV and Samsung 32" HD TV.

the issue only happens on the QLED TV.

I have moved the 365 boxes around and the issue remains on the QLED TV.

I have tested the QLED TV by;

1. removing the 365 box and playing multiple DVDs. the problem doesn't present itself.

2. removing the 365 box and connecting the QLED TV to the internet and playing UHD content via BBC iPlayer etc. issue does not present itself.

3. playing content via digital aerial, issue does not present itself.

I have tried amending the 365 setting for HDMI resolution from automatic to 4k, issue occurs.

I have set it to 1080i and the issue HAS NOT occured over the last 2 days.

I believe the issue is Virgin365 issue as it happens when anyone of the 365 boxes is connected. It does NOT happen when I play content from another source.

the issue seems (so far) to disappear when the HDMI resolution is set to 1080i.

Thus a driver issue?

I did not have this issue before the Virgin V6 boxes were upgraded to 365.

the issue is completely random, some times twice in a few hours, sometimes a lot more.

if I rewind and play the sound on the replay is fine, so not a signal to the box issue. the issue is from the box to the TV.

it doesn't happen at a particular time. it is Random.

I want to watch UHD content from Netflix etc, so leaving the HDMI resolution at 1080i is not ideal, even for HD content as 1080p is better. I want either automatic or 4k.

The issue happens if I use the 365 box, be it channels, catch-up or apps hosted by the 365 box.

it does not happen on Digital TV , DVD playback or on Apps host directly on the TV.

Miles

Hi,

Totally random as far as I can tell - setup and any troubleshooting detailed further up the thread.

JB

miles5759
On our wavelength

Hi Zach,

any news from Virgin's perspective?

Miles

Hi Miles,

Sorry to hear of your congoing sound issues. If it keep dropping out then it might be best to have a tech come round and have a look. I've sent you a PM to confirm your account details.

Cheers,

Corey C

miles5759
On our wavelength

Hi, there really is no point sending. technician around. The problem is so random it may not happen for hours!

all he will say is, can't find anything wrong. everyone reporting this issue is saying the same thing.

I am a technical manager for an Is T company, if you let me know what the engineer is likely to need to do I can do it.

Miles

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @miles5759,

Thank you for getting back to us. However, as we're an online team, we do not have access and do not know the processes and procedures of what our engineers would advise in this situation.

We understand that this is an intermittent issue and may not show for quite some time. We do believe that getting a technician sent out to look into this problem further would help resolve the issue, or at least help us locate what this issue is. Whether this is a TV box issue, or a signal issue. 

Please respond to my colleague's Private Message to confirm some details, so we can help you have this issue resolved. 

Let us know if there's anything else we can do to help.

Thank you,

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi

The Virgin engineer arrived as agreed. I explained to him what the issue is. As I suspected would happen, he simply said " there is nothing I can do about that, all I can do is send my manager an email!"

He didn't even take his coat off or do anything to the system. Total time at my house was 5 minutes.

A waste of my afternoon, and a waste of his time.

It has been a few weeks now, and yet I have heard absolutely nothing. I assume he did email his boss, but I have had NO feed back.

So Virgin, what are you doing to fix this issue that is affecting several of your users?

Miles

Good morning miles5759

Thanks for coming back to us. I've reached out to the field manager now so I'll be in touch with any updates.

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill