cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pairing two remotes to new 360 box

jmkirk14
Tuning in

Good evening

I’ve seen previous posts about pairing multiple Bluetooth remotes to V6. I need to do the same with my new 360 box and second remote I’ve got from Virgin. ?? Stuck anyone got info how to do this or have done it. 
Thanks

70 REPLIES 70

Thanks

mfry55
Tuning in

The reason you can't do it is because Virgin want you to pay for an additional (smaller) box in each room, so it's not so much a step back and more the case of virgin profiteering by costing you more to do the same as before. 

irenton
On our wavelength

This is supposed to be a high tech age, but Virgin cannot pair 2 remotes to the one 360 box, Unbelievable, what is the point of supplying 2 remotes, in case I through it out the window!!!!

roy247
Community elder

@irenton wrote:

This is supposed to be a high tech age, but Virgin cannot pair 2 remotes to the one 360 box, Unbelievable, what is the point of supplying 2 remotes, in case I through it out the window!!!!

Well if you have 2 boxes you will need 2 remotes because you can only pair 1 remote to 1 box, so I wouldn't  throw anything out of the window just yet.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You can always use the TV Go app as a second remote

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

DRW1
Just joined

Seems strange that I can pair my Bose Lifestyle system remote to my 360 box and my Virgin supplied 360 remote also works (both on bluetooth!). So in principle you can pair two remotes but it seems not two Virgin supplied 360 remotes.  Is this as discussed a buy another box scam that is hiding behind a so called technical capability.  Come on Virgin you already pull my trousers down and spank me for enough money every month!  We too have piped HDMI to each room and now have to use our mobiles as controllers it would be convenient to be able to use a remote especially for the voice search function.  Any update on Alexa integration?  Sort this out and I will happily get back in my box!

Hman
Tuning in

My wife got fed up of using the Virgin Media Go App as a remote control as it meant a few more clicks before you can even change channel, so I went about trying to figure out whether we can get two remotes linked to the same 360 box.  After initially failing to get it sorted, I found a solution that works for us and possibly for any others that experience the same problem.

We have 1 TV in our main living room, 8 metres away from the box, and another TV 2 metres away in our bedroom with HDMI cables running from box to both TVs.

I took a punt and bought a "One For All" smart remote from Argos (c.£20) which is controlled via IR.  I was willing to buy this remote as I also have an amp and a Blu ray player which means I can control my TV, Virgin Box, Amp and Blu Ray player using only 1 remote.

The reason why One For All is good is because they have an app you download on your phone and you can input the remote control code to link to the Virgin box.  All you do is program the One For All remote with the Virgin Box set as "Ziggo Media" and the code is 1582 (I got the code from someone else on this forum) and it worked!  All of a sudden I had an IR remote to the box along with the official Virgin remote (to be used in our bedroom).

The second issue after that was how to get the IR signal from the One For All remote from the garage to the main living room (some 8 metres).  You can get some cheap IR buds, but for some reason it didn't work for me.

So I ended up taking a second punt and bought a "Marmitek" IR transmitter and Receiver from Amazon for a reasonable price (they look like two small pyramids).  One goes in front of the Virgin box in the garage and the other went next to my TV in the living room.  It works well and now I can control my living room TV perfectly using the One For All remote.

Sorry for the long winded post but hopefully it helps anyone if they are still struggling to use two remotes on one box. My solution does mean spending money on a One for All remote and possibly IR receiver but for me it was worth the price and less hassle.  

martingg
On our wavelength
My insulation engineer was not even awear that two remotes could not be paired to one box. If they have not been informed what chance do we have. I have 3 box’s and previously used two remotes downstairs as my wife and I used different chairs and it’s convenient, and in the bed room it allows one remote to be placed on each bed side table as if one person falls asleep allows the other to turn off the tv without disturbing the other. Who in their great wisdom did not recognise that customers may need two remotes per box. Multiple remotes should have been part of the design brief, or don’t customer needs matter. I believe the new Sky glass tv have inbuilt mics if so should Virgin incorporate a mic function in the 360 as part of the design brief or is customer happiness not important any more.

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi martingg, 

Thank you for posting and providing your feedback regarding the 360 service and remote. We appreciate all feedback and will ensure that it is passed on to the business for review. 

In relation to the microphone feature, I can confirm that the 360 remote does come with this and you will be able to search for shows or apps by pressing the microphone icon and saying what you are searching for. 

More information regarding this can be found here

Thanks 

Nat

Yes the remote may have a voice recognition but it only any good if you can get yours hands on the remote from the other side of the bed/room. Alexa has voice recognition without the need for a remote that system would be more useful. I have since found that certain “One For All” remotes you can add to the original remote giving you two remotes. I am not technically minded and don’t fully understand why the original remotes it not an option to use more than one per cable box. Was this a cost saving or just over looked on the original brief. Could Virgin not talk to a company that seems to know what they are doing and use their superior remotes as a standard option.