cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Option to delete Netflix

banjhiyi
On our wavelength

We need an option to delete Netflix. The app is sending in excess of 30,000 queries to logs.Netflix.com every day - even though we have never used the app on our V360.

This is ridiculous and a grave privacy concern.

Can we either delete the app or can you ask Netflix to re-engineer it so it only sends queries when it has been used and someone has signed it?

This app has no business flooding my network with crap, quite frankly.

10 REPLIES 10

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Do you have netflix on any other devices?

It's possible that you have a remote control with a stuck netflix button 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

In addition, app install/removals are part of the SW on VM TV boxes - they're not like tablets & smartphones where you can install & remove at will.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

It’s all coming from the main V360 ip address, even when it’s in ‘sleep’ mode.

Thanks for reaching out to us @banjhiyi and we're sorry to hear of this issue experienced with Netflix and our 360 TV set top box.

Can you please confirm the logs you have been able to trace to show that this is coming from the set top box only? 

Do any members of your household use Netflix at all on other devices? 

Thanks

David_Bn

BlueLou
Virgin Media Staff
Virgin Media Staff

I can perhaps answer some of this.  The Netlfix app is native to the service, so would have the ability to send logs even if you havent used it.

The app doesnt have any visibility of whether you are a registered user of Netflix or any personal details, but needs to update the core UI and any Netflix titles shown in search or the Netflix app rail on the platform. 

That said, it would be good to see any detail you have on the amount of data being sent as it does sound like a lot and the teams I've asked internally have said the network usage of these logs is minimal. 

banjhiyi
On our wavelength

What are you looking for? Screenshots of the logs?

Attached is a screenshot from my pihole. I’ve flushed the tables and cache to start again. This snapshot is 20 seconds after restart.

x.103 is the V360 ip. It’s been in sleep mode since last Wednesday.

NB. It doesn’t matter that the logs are not connecting. I’ve had the pihole switched off for a whole weekend and 28k blocked queries simply becomes 28k returned queries.

IMG_5047.png

banjhiyi
On our wavelength

Pihole uptime is now six minutes and already up to 20 pages of queries from V360 to Netflix.

IMG_5048.png

Thanks banjhiyi, it's certainly strange and not something we have come across before so have passed the details and information to the relevant team to look into further.

banjhiyi
On our wavelength

Hi Robert

Past three or four days the situation has settled right down. Last time there was a call from either the V360 or the dumb box was on 23/07/2024.

Is it possible an update was done quietly in the background that rectified this?