cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Remote with Replacement TV Box

GuyMal
On our wavelength

Virgin sent me a new, primary, TV box. It arrived on 3/2 but I only installed it today (13/2) because I had recordings I wanted to watch (which were unavailable to stream). But when I got to the bit in the instructions about pairing the new remote with the TV, I found that the new remote was not in the box (not in the original parcel with the tv box and power lead). So I’ve reinstalled the old box for now.

I’m 95% sure that Virgin didn’t send a remote as I have no recollection of opening that section of the box when it arrived. I certainly didn’t unpack the power lead. Plus I have spent the last hour searching for it (and the house is really tidy at the moment!). But it’s only 95%…

I would like Virgin to send me a new remote, or do I have to send it all back? I have sent a private message, but thought I’d better copy it here, as I have been told off by Virgin in the past for using the private message facility for the wrong type of query.

5 REPLIES 5

roy247
Superstar

Hi GuyMal,

Is this a replacement box for the problem you were having watching recordings between your 2 boxes. If you are just replacing the box and sending the old one back then you can just use your original remote, that's possibly why they didn't send a remote.

If you have problems pairing the remote press and hold the TV and Rewind button for 10 seconds which will factory reset the 360 remote.

GuyMal
On our wavelength

Hi Roy, That’s really helpful. I hope I haven’t been a dummy. When I got to the point in the setting up process to pair the new remote with the new box - when I couldn’t find the new remote - I didn’t really persevere. I did press the Virgin Home button on the old remote, but the picture (pairing remote with tv) didn’t change. If there was a ‘skip this step’ option I didn’t notice it - but I didn’t look very hard because it had been impressed on me, when I first joined Virgin last year, that each remote was specifically paired with its own box, and wouldn’t work on any other box.

I’ll give Virgin until tomorrow to respond, before trying to install the equipment again and skipping (or repeating) the pairing or the remote with the TV. The TV was difficult to pair with the remote last year (I can’t remember how I did it, but I think YOU might have helped Roy!) - which is another reason why I was reluctant to repeat it using the instructions on the screen and the old, already paired remote.

Hi GuyMal,

Just try factory resetting your original remote or take the batteries out for about 5 minutes and then try again, this should also reset the remote just make sure your old box isn't powered up. 🤞

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @GuyMal 

As per @roy247 removing the batteries for arounnd 5 minutes sshould reset and then pair the remote to your replacement box ( but make sure the original 360 box is turned off )

Also you can press and hold the TV and Rewind button for 10 seconds which will factory reset the 360 remote. After the factory reset, try pressing TV and 0 button for 10 seconds and it should now force pairing..

If the above don't work then try the following (it's a newer method) 

Put the box into 'Pairing Mode' by pressing the Standby/On button on the front of the box for 10 seconds.  Then using the remote control, press and hold the 'TV' button and the '0' button together for 10 seconds. And fingers crossed hopefully a  message should appear on the screen confirming that pairing was successful.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

GuyMal
On our wavelength

Thanks everyone. This all sounds super helpful. I’ll have a go later and let you know how I get on.